Re: [SCA-JML] A few mixed questions concerning Samurai

  • Pia Lampert
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 22, 2012
      At least right now, its not. Would that make a difference?

      Mar

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 22, 2012
        Pia wrote:
        > In Samurai movies we often see the lords sitting on a camp/folding stool.
        > I think they are called sho-gi, right? Any either where I could buy one,
        > as I cannot make it myself.

        While a true shogi (sho-gi, shougi, etc.) is slightly different,
        similar folding stools are quite common around the world and a
        web search for "camp stool wood canvas" should yield useful
        results. Many are available for less than $20.

        I'm most familiar with the http://www.pantherprimitives.com/ one,
        which is listed at $15.

        I did find some nice accurate ones on web sites in Japan, but you
        probably really don't want to know how much they cost.

        --
        The Hon. Lord Ishiyama Gen'tarou Yori'ie
        (mka: Elliott C. "Eeyore" Evans)
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 22, 2012
          Well, yes it would, and since you made your request on the *SCA* Japanese Mailing List, that in general is the default assumption for the kind of information you're looking for.
          As the SCA time frame ends with (approximately) the founding of the Tokugawa Shogunate and the beginning of the Edo period, the time frame of the questions you have is at least 250 years past the focus of the members of the group; it's kind of like asking a English Civil War reenactment group about Victorian clothing.

          That said, many of the people on this list are great resources for anything Japanese before the modern era, to the Meiji Reatoration and such; I hope they can help you.

          Sir Koredono

          Sent from my iPhone

          On Jun 22, 2012, at 7:11 AM, Pia Lampert <ti1816@...> wrote:

          > At least right now, its not. Would that make a difference?
          >
          > Mar
          >
          > ________________________________

        • Pia Lampert
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 22, 2012
            Ah well, I wasn't aware that the SCA time frame ended with the Tokugawa Shogunate.
            The mailing list was just pointed out to me by someone when I was asking for people with a great knowledge of "ancient" Japan.
            People here have been very helpful before,so I thought I just ask again.

            Mar

            ________________________________
            Well, yes it would, and since you made your request on the *SCA* Japanese Mailing List, that in general is the default assumption for the kind of information you're looking for.
            As the SCA time frame ends with (approximately) the founding of the Tokugawa Shogunate and the beginning of the Edo period, the time frame of the questions you have is at least 250 years past the focus of the members of the group; it's kind of like asking a English Civil War reenactment group about Victorian clothing.

            That said, many of the people on this list are great resources for anything Japanese before the modern era, to the Meiji Reatoration and such; I hope they can help you.

            Sir Koredono

            Sent from my iPhone

            On Jun 22, 2012, at 7:11 AM, Pia Lampert <ti1816@...> wrote:

            > At least right now, its not. Would that make a difference?
            >
            > Mar
            >
            > ________________________________

          • Katashi Itto
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 22, 2012
               To be frank as long as your neatly groomed with a fresh, short, haircut, or if long haired, done up in a top knot (Unless Ronin) you should be ok.

              Here are some haircuts that are quite doable today:

              Nemuri Series
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0BxrdgFEwQ

              Zatoichi -The Coin Cut scene:
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wSoBE75WXY

              Hatori Hanzo "Kill Bill" keep in Mind Sonny Chiba is reprising his role as the Famous Ninja -now retired- from his 80s series... :)
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIr6rEndy0A

              Hope these help..!

              Katashi Itto

              -Black Lotus Clan

            • Pia Lampert
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 22, 2012
                I am going to let my hair grow a bit. Right now it has different kind of lengths and is rather useless =(.
                What about a ponytail like the one worn by Shin in this movie. Don't know how accurate this movie is though.

                 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xl-ULVlKpmU

                At 0:37

                Mar

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 22, 2012
                   Please take a look at the following movie.  "The Twilight Samurai"  The hero performs as accountant for his fiefdom:

                  Also join Samurai Cinema!  A repository for Samurai Movies and documentries for the Group :

                  https://www.facebook.com/groups/236815816339637/

                  At 0:28:30 is a great scene showing a number of Samurai at work, doing the books.

                  The Twilight Samurai www.youtube.com
                  The Twilight Samurai or Tasogare Seibei (たそがれ清兵衛?, literally "Twilight Seibei") is a 2002 Japanese film directed by Yoji Yamada. Set in mid-19th century Japa...

                  Katashi Itto

                  -Black Lotus Clan

                • Katashi Itto
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 22, 2012
                    Your still pretty well off, keep in mind, things really didnt change to drastically, with the period you quoted, except the western influence kept increasing.

                    I am early Edo Period.  Frankly I like it because clothing is easy to come by and as a practicing Kendoist and Iaido student, my clothing both the training and more formal items are readily transferable to my persona.

                    Katashi Itto

                    -Black Lotus Clan

                    ________________________________

                    On Jun 22, 2012, at 7:11 AM, Pia Lampert <mailto:ti1816%40yahoo.de> wrote:

                    > At least right now, its not. Would that make a difference?
                    >
                    > Mar
                    >
                    > ________________________________

                  • Katashi Itto
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 22, 2012
                      As long as you stay out of  Meiji Restoration that is, your pretty safe.   Was really weird during that period :)

                      Katashi Itto

                      -Black Lotus Clan

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 22, 2012

                        Greetings from Solveig! There was actually quite a bit of fashion in clothing and hair arranging during the Edo period. This may affect women more than men.

                      • Katashi Itto
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 22, 2012
                          To follow up on the honorable Solveig Throndardottir's statement.  In the Nemuri Kyoshiro series, Nemuri's right hand man is a hair stylist in Edo and in doing noble's hair gets access to on the inside information and gossip.  Hence Nemuri usually knows what is going on in the court and it's environs.

                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcvcjgoLWyY

                          Katashi Itto

                          -Black Lotus Clan

                          ________________________________
                          Greetings from Solveig! There was actually quite a bit of fashion in clothing and hair arranging during the Edo period. This may affect women more than men.

                        • LJonthebay
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 22, 2012
                            Konbanwa, tomodachi!

                            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Pia" <ti1816@...> wrote:
                            > I am preparing myself for a Samurai character ( late Edo period 19th century) and the more I read and the more I find out, the more confusing it gets.

                            Cosplay? Re-enactment? Sounds interesting.

                            I got some oak camp stools that are fairly close to Japanese shogi at http://blockaderunner.com/Catalog/catpg27a.html

                            > My third question concerns Naga juban and Hada juban.

                            Juban are undergarments - if you're going to be wearing them under hakama, you probably don't want them too long. Most of the gentlemen I know like them about calf length.

                            http://kimono-akinai.com/4/english/wafuku2.html is kind of simplistic, and mostly for modern kimono dressing, but it shows what order the juban go on in. Think of the hada juban as a kimono "tee shirt."

                            Lastly, movies are a fine place to draw inspiration, but if you're trying for a realistic historical reconstruction, you should be looking at prints, pictures or surviving garments from the period. Depending on the part of the 19th century you're interested in, there are a number of collections of photos on the internet that might help.

                            http://oldphoto.lb.nagasaki-u.ac.jp/en/about.html
                            http://oldphotosjapan.com/en/
                            http://www.baxleystamps.com/litho/ogawa/ogawa_restor.shtml are a couple I had bookmarked.

                            Saionji Shonagon
                            West Kingdom
                          • Pia Lampert
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jun 23, 2012
                              Thanks everyone for the answers and links =). As always very useful. Well right now, this character will be for live role playing purposes.
                              What I will make out of it, I will see. There are no ancient Japan Re-enactment groups in my area anyways.

                              Mar