Re: [SCA-JML] A few mixed questions concerning Samurai

  • JL Badgley
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 22, 2012
      Before answering, is this for an SCA persona?

      -Ii
      On Jun 22, 2012 7:00 AM, "Pia" <ti1816@...> wrote:

      > Hello there,
      >
      > I am preparing myself for a Samurai character ( late Edo period 19th
      > century) and the more I read and the more I find out, the more confusing it
      > gets.
      >
      > If you play a Samurai who is not a warrior, but maybe working in the
      > archives etc, do you still need to wear your Daisho or is it ok to just
      > wear a Wakizashi? I read somewhere that the Bafuku made it mandatory, but I
      > also remember faintly that you don't need to wear it on all occastions?
      >
      > In Samurai movies we often see the lords sitting on a camp/folding stool.
      > I think they are called sho-gi, right? Any either where I could buy one, as
      > I cannot make it myself.
      >
      > My third question concerns Naga juban and Hada juban. I was trying to find
      > out the correct length for a person 5ft6. On the page I found it just said:
      > Juban: 75-77 cm. Apart from the size questions I am not sure if I should be
      > going for Naga or Hadajuban. Or if I have to wear both, first Hada then
      > Nagajuban. Its for a male Kimono.
      >
      > My last question is concerning the hairstyle. For Edo periode, almost
      > always do I see this shaved pate and oiled hair which is folded forward. In
      > some movies I saw this so called Tea-wisk style with a full head of hair.
      > Did this apply to the Sengoku periode? Which other style can I go for? I am
      > not going to shave my own hair and i do not want to wear one of these funny
      > looking wigs.
      >
      > thanks,
      >
      > Mar

    • Pia Lampert
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 22, 2012
        At least right now, its not. Would that make a difference?

        Mar

        ________________________________
        Before answering, is this for an SCA persona?

        -Ii
        On Jun 22, 2012 7:00 AM, "Pia" <ti1816@...> wrote:

        > Hello there,
        >
        > I am preparing myself for a Samurai character ( late Edo period 19th
        > century) and the more I read and the more I find out, the more confusing it
        > gets.
        >
        > If you play a Samurai who is not a warrior, but maybe working in the
        > archives etc, do you still need to wear your Daisho or is it ok to just
        > wear a Wakizashi? I read somewhere that the Bafuku made it mandatory, but I
        > also remember faintly that you don't need to wear it on all occastions?
        >
        > In Samurai movies we often see the lords sitting on a camp/folding stool.
        > I think they are called sho-gi, right? Any either where I could buy one, as
        > I cannot make it myself.
        >
        > My third question concerns Naga juban and Hada juban. I was trying to find
        > out the correct length for a person 5ft6. On the page I found it just said:
        > Juban: 75-77 cm. Apart from the size questions I am not sure if I should be
        > going for Naga or Hadajuban. Or if I have to wear both, first Hada then
        > Nagajuban. Its for a male Kimono.
        >
        > My last question is concerning the hairstyle. For Edo periode, almost
        > always do I see this shaved pate and oiled hair which is folded forward. In
        > some movies I saw this so called Tea-wisk style with a full head of hair.
        > Did this apply to the Sengoku periode? Which other style can I go for? I am
        > not going to shave my own hair and i do not want to wear one of these funny
        > looking wigs.
        >
        > thanks,
        >
        > Mar

      • Ishiyama Gen'tarou Yori'ie
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 22, 2012
          Pia wrote:
          > In Samurai movies we often see the lords sitting on a camp/folding stool.
          > I think they are called sho-gi, right? Any either where I could buy one,
          > as I cannot make it myself.

          While a true shogi (sho-gi, shougi, etc.) is slightly different,
          similar folding stools are quite common around the world and a
          web search for "camp stool wood canvas" should yield useful
          results. Many are available for less than $20.

          I'm most familiar with the http://www.pantherprimitives.com/ one,
          which is listed at $15.

          I did find some nice accurate ones on web sites in Japan, but you
          probably really don't want to know how much they cost.

          --
          The Hon. Lord Ishiyama Gen'tarou Yori'ie
          (mka: Elliott C. "Eeyore" Evans)
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 22, 2012
            Well, yes it would, and since you made your request on the *SCA* Japanese Mailing List, that in general is the default assumption for the kind of information you're looking for.
            As the SCA time frame ends with (approximately) the founding of the Tokugawa Shogunate and the beginning of the Edo period, the time frame of the questions you have is at least 250 years past the focus of the members of the group; it's kind of like asking a English Civil War reenactment group about Victorian clothing.

            That said, many of the people on this list are great resources for anything Japanese before the modern era, to the Meiji Reatoration and such; I hope they can help you.

            Sir Koredono

            Sent from my iPhone

            On Jun 22, 2012, at 7:11 AM, Pia Lampert <ti1816@...> wrote:

            > At least right now, its not. Would that make a difference?
            >
            > Mar
            >
            > ________________________________

          • Pia Lampert
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 22, 2012
              Ah well, I wasn't aware that the SCA time frame ended with the Tokugawa Shogunate.
              The mailing list was just pointed out to me by someone when I was asking for people with a great knowledge of "ancient" Japan.
              People here have been very helpful before,so I thought I just ask again.

              Mar

              ________________________________
              Well, yes it would, and since you made your request on the *SCA* Japanese Mailing List, that in general is the default assumption for the kind of information you're looking for.
              As the SCA time frame ends with (approximately) the founding of the Tokugawa Shogunate and the beginning of the Edo period, the time frame of the questions you have is at least 250 years past the focus of the members of the group; it's kind of like asking a English Civil War reenactment group about Victorian clothing.

              That said, many of the people on this list are great resources for anything Japanese before the modern era, to the Meiji Reatoration and such; I hope they can help you.

              Sir Koredono

              Sent from my iPhone

              On Jun 22, 2012, at 7:11 AM, Pia Lampert <ti1816@...> wrote:

              > At least right now, its not. Would that make a difference?
              >
              > Mar
              >
              > ________________________________

            • Katashi Itto
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 22, 2012
                 To be frank as long as your neatly groomed with a fresh, short, haircut, or if long haired, done up in a top knot (Unless Ronin) you should be ok.

                Here are some haircuts that are quite doable today:

                Nemuri Series
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0BxrdgFEwQ

                Zatoichi -The Coin Cut scene:
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wSoBE75WXY

                Hatori Hanzo "Kill Bill" keep in Mind Sonny Chiba is reprising his role as the Famous Ninja -now retired- from his 80s series... :)
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIr6rEndy0A

                Hope these help..!

                Katashi Itto

                -Black Lotus Clan

              • Pia Lampert
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 22, 2012
                  I am going to let my hair grow a bit. Right now it has different kind of lengths and is rather useless =(.
                  What about a ponytail like the one worn by Shin in this movie. Don't know how accurate this movie is though.

                   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xl-ULVlKpmU

                  At 0:37

                  Mar

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 22, 2012
                     Please take a look at the following movie.  "The Twilight Samurai"  The hero performs as accountant for his fiefdom:

                    Also join Samurai Cinema!  A repository for Samurai Movies and documentries for the Group :

                    https://www.facebook.com/groups/236815816339637/

                    At 0:28:30 is a great scene showing a number of Samurai at work, doing the books.

                    The Twilight Samurai www.youtube.com
                    The Twilight Samurai or Tasogare Seibei (たそがれ清兵衛?, literally "Twilight Seibei") is a 2002 Japanese film directed by Yoji Yamada. Set in mid-19th century Japa...

                    Katashi Itto

                    -Black Lotus Clan

                  • Katashi Itto
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 22, 2012
                      Your still pretty well off, keep in mind, things really didnt change to drastically, with the period you quoted, except the western influence kept increasing.

                      I am early Edo Period.  Frankly I like it because clothing is easy to come by and as a practicing Kendoist and Iaido student, my clothing both the training and more formal items are readily transferable to my persona.

                      Katashi Itto

                      -Black Lotus Clan

                      ________________________________

                      On Jun 22, 2012, at 7:11 AM, Pia Lampert <mailto:ti1816%40yahoo.de> wrote:

                      > At least right now, its not. Would that make a difference?
                      >
                      > Mar
                      >
                      > ________________________________

                    • Katashi Itto
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 22, 2012
                        As long as you stay out of  Meiji Restoration that is, your pretty safe.   Was really weird during that period :)

                        Katashi Itto

                        -Black Lotus Clan

                        ________________________________

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 22, 2012

                          Greetings from Solveig! There was actually quite a bit of fashion in clothing and hair arranging during the Edo period. This may affect women more than men.

                        • Katashi Itto
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 22, 2012
                            To follow up on the honorable Solveig Throndardottir's statement.  In the Nemuri Kyoshiro series, Nemuri's right hand man is a hair stylist in Edo and in doing noble's hair gets access to on the inside information and gossip.  Hence Nemuri usually knows what is going on in the court and it's environs.

                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcvcjgoLWyY

                            Katashi Itto

                            -Black Lotus Clan

                            ________________________________
                            Greetings from Solveig! There was actually quite a bit of fashion in clothing and hair arranging during the Edo period. This may affect women more than men.

                          • LJonthebay
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jun 22, 2012
                              Konbanwa, tomodachi!

                              --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Pia" <ti1816@...> wrote:
                              > I am preparing myself for a Samurai character ( late Edo period 19th century) and the more I read and the more I find out, the more confusing it gets.

                              Cosplay? Re-enactment? Sounds interesting.

                              I got some oak camp stools that are fairly close to Japanese shogi at http://blockaderunner.com/Catalog/catpg27a.html

                              > My third question concerns Naga juban and Hada juban.

                              Juban are undergarments - if you're going to be wearing them under hakama, you probably don't want them too long. Most of the gentlemen I know like them about calf length.

                              http://kimono-akinai.com/4/english/wafuku2.html is kind of simplistic, and mostly for modern kimono dressing, but it shows what order the juban go on in. Think of the hada juban as a kimono "tee shirt."

                              Lastly, movies are a fine place to draw inspiration, but if you're trying for a realistic historical reconstruction, you should be looking at prints, pictures or surviving garments from the period. Depending on the part of the 19th century you're interested in, there are a number of collections of photos on the internet that might help.

                              http://oldphoto.lb.nagasaki-u.ac.jp/en/about.html
                              http://oldphotosjapan.com/en/
                              http://www.baxleystamps.com/litho/ogawa/ogawa_restor.shtml are a couple I had bookmarked.

                              Saionji Shonagon
                              West Kingdom
                            • Pia Lampert
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jun 23, 2012
                                Thanks everyone for the answers and links =). As always very useful. Well right now, this character will be for live role playing purposes.
                                What I will make out of it, I will see. There are no ancient Japan Re-enactment groups in my area anyways.

                                Mar