Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Rashomon

  • richard johnson
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 17, 2012
      Before these Kurosawa films were released in America, there was no way
      to see them outside an art theater.

      So I bought my set from a dealer in Singapore (I am since replacing
      them with the Criterion version for reasons that will soon become
      clear)

      The Singapore films seem to have been translated from Japanese into
      Chinese, then into Malaysian then into English.

      Now my Japanese has degenerated from lack of use since I lived in
      Japan in the 1060's but somehow having a two-minute speech be
      translated as three short lines cannot be accurate!
      It is as if the translators got bored and cut too many corners.

      The Criterion version are newly translated and so better that any
      other I have seen.

      --
      Rick Johnson
      http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 18, 2012
        Personally I own everything by Kurosawa.

        However, I think of the movies being there, as an opportunity to expose people to movies they might never otherwise see, and is a great resource for garb and historical content.

        Katashi Itto

        -Black Lotus Clan

      • richard johnson
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 18, 2012
          I may be older than dirt but am not THAT old! <g>
          Just dyslexic and bad fingers from all those years fighting.

          On 6/18/12, Katashi Itto <katashi_itto@...> wrote:
          > Personally I own everything by Kurosawa.
          >
          > However, I think of the movies being there, as an opportunity to expose
          > people to movies they might never otherwise see, and is a great resource for
          > garb and historical content.
          >
          > Katashi Itto
          >
          > -Black Lotus Clan

          Rick Johnson
          http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com
        • Katashi Itto
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 18, 2012
            Hmmm, did you get your sword training from some Egyptian?  While living in the Highlands?

            You dont happen to have a habit collect certain peoples heads do you?

            Now spending your time incoginto in the SCA....?

            Katashi Itto

            -Black Lotus Clan

            ________________________________

            On 6/18/12, Katashi Itto <mailto:katashi_itto%40yahoo.com> wrote:
            > Personally I own everything by Kurosawa.
            >
            > However, I think of the movies being there, as an opportunity to expose
            > people to movies they might never otherwise see, and is a great resource for
            > garb and historical content.
            >
            > Katashi Itto
            >
            > -Black Lotus Clan

            Rick Johnson
            http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com

          • richard johnson
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 18, 2012
              ah yes, the katana-carrying-scot syndrome. I recall seeing that often
              when the movies came out and withthe planned remake, expect to see it
              again.

              On 6/18/12, Katashi Itto <katashi_itto@...> wrote:
              > Hmmm, did you get your sword training from some Egyptian?  While living in
              > the Highlands?
              >
              > You dont happen to have a habit collect certain peoples heads do you?
              >
              > Now spending your time incoginto in the SCA....?
              >
              > Katashi Itto
              >
              > -Black Lotus Clan
              >

              > ________________________________

              Rick Johnson
              http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com
            • Katashi Itto
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 18, 2012
                Hmmm, off the cuff comments to sidestep the fact your really immortal.
                 Just remember we're watching you!

                Damn katana-weilding immortals, cant go to an SCA event anymore without tripping over one or two.  Swear there outta be a law.
                Always ranting about "There can only be one...!"

                Katashi Itto

                -Black Lotus Clan

              • Katashi Itto
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 18, 2012
                   I think that movie went to their heads.  Before it came out, they would simply challege each other to a mean game of Backgammon.

                  Katashi Itto

                  -Black Lotus Clan

                • richard johnson
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 18, 2012
                    >>Hmmm, off the cuff comments to sidestep the fact your really immortal.
                    >>Just remember we're watching you!

                    Immortal? hardly, just doomed to live a long life.

                    oh noooo.....you are watching me?
                    Not in my shower?
                    I used to have a neighbor woman watch my through my window when I
                    watched movies of an adult nature.
                    I hope you are not laughing as much as did she.\

                    BTW, when someone grants you immortality, be certain to include as a
                    rider to the contract youth and regeneration.
                    Age can be described as having to live with the problems and injuries
                    incurred in your youth.

                    On 6/18/12, Katashi Itto <katashi_itto@...> wrote:
                    >  I think that movie went to their heads.  Before it came out, they would
                    > simply challege each other to a mean game of Backgammon.
                    >
                    > Katashi Itto
                    >
                    > -Black Lotus Clan

                    Rick Johnson
                    http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com
                  • Yves de Lyle
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 19, 2012
                      Rashomon is also on the Internet Archive, and has been for years.

                      http://archive.org/details/dom-24164-rashomon

                      ---
                      Yves