Inspirational movies - Onmyoji & Onmyoji II

  • ladyhallaofmugmort
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 17 3:45 PM
      Set in the Heian era. Mansai Normura is not at all hard to look at. I'd love for there to be an Onmyoji III, IV. You can find them at Amazon. Here's a trailer for the first one

      http://youtu.be/S1vmVCWEN48

      Has anyone else seen these? Any opinions about the garb?

      YIS

      Halla of Mugmort
    • Katashi Itto
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 17 6:49 PM
        Here is the Musical :
        Shounen Onmyouji Musical Part 1/9

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SkcHooA-UQ

        Katashi Itto

        -Black Lotus Clan

      • JL Badgley
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 17 6:50 PM
          On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 6:45 PM, ladyhallaofmugmort
          <pooklaroux@...> wrote:
          > Set in the Heian era.  Mansai Normura is not at all hard to look at. I'd  love for there to be an Onmyoji III, IV.  You can find them at Amazon.  Here's a trailer for the first one
          >
          > http://youtu.be/S1vmVCWEN48
          >
          > Has anyone else seen these? Any opinions about the garb?

          We love Onmyoji and usually show them to people as an example of what
          you can do *besides* Sengoku. That said, you have to know a bit
          about what you are looking at.

          First off, doing just about any of the clothing (except maybe the
          guards' armor) from the movie will be a cut above most attempts.
          However, if you want to know the truth, the movie is still a bit
          anachronistic.

          Theoretically this is the time of Abe no Seimei, who was born in the
          late 10th century (d. ca. 1005). These were taken from a series of
          books (later manga) by Baku Yumemakura (the author's nom de plume),
          and while they are well done in capturing a lot of the flavor of the
          time, certain things are moved around a bit. For instance, in reality
          Minamoto Hiromasa would have been much older than depicted.

          As far as clothing, it is a bit late for the setting; probably more
          along the lines of 12th century than 10th. It is the late Heian
          clothing that has become the iconic standard for the era, but wasn't
          universal throughout--there was an evolution that brought it from the
          Nara period up to the end of the Heian period, after which it was
          fairly codified for ritual purposes, but still had some evolution
          thereafter. There is some color, but in general they weren't in the
          right colors for their ranks in the 10th century--though it was
          appropriate to later periods, iirc. The guards' armor, which I
          mentioned before, is conjectural for the 10th century; nobody knows
          what it looked like, but these seem to be what historians are leaning
          towards, at least in popular depiction (it was not that far off from
          what the guards were wearing at the reconstruction at the Heijo
          palace).

          So, a great place to start researching, and I don't think I would look
          askance at anyone wearing any of the clothes to an SCA event.

          Except Mitsumushi. Yeah... J-Pop fan service eye candy, and not in
          the least bit historical. Come to think of it, I remember Onmyoji I
          better than II, so if there were weird clothes there (we won't get
          into the cross-dressing) then I may have to revise my statement.
          Hmmm... might have to watch it again. Gagaku music video, here we
          come....

          -Ii
        • ladyhallaofmugmort
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 18 10:50 AM
            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, JL Badgley <tatsushu@...> wrote:

            > We love Onmyoji and usually show them to people as an example of what
            > you can do *besides* Sengoku. That said, you have to know a bit
            > about what you are looking at. (snip) and I don't think I would look
            > askance at anyone wearing any of the clothes to an SCA event.
            >
            > Except Mitsumushi. Yeah...
            > -Ii

            I can watch these over and over again. I wish there were more women pictured, but it gives me good ideas for husband's garb.

            LOL Mitsumushi -- someone told me the actor playing Mitsumushi is actually a JPOP star?

            Halla
          • ladyhallaofmugmort
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 18 10:57 AM
              That is tremendously amusing! Must set up a queue and watch the whole thing!

              Halla

              --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Katashi Itto <katashi_itto@...> wrote:

              > Here is the Musical :
              > Shounen Onmyouji Musical Part 1/9
              >
              > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SkcHooA-UQ
              >

              > Katashi Itto
              >
              > -Black Lotus Clan

            • Katashi Itto
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 18 11:37 AM
                Its pretty good!  i will see if I can find a torrent link that has subtitles.

                Katashi Itto

                -Black Lotus Clan