Re: Rashomon

  • James Eckman
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 16, 2012
      > Posted by: "richard johnson"
      >
      > Rashomon, by Akira Kurosawa, is probably the BEST movie ever made. It
      > is required viewing for my students in philosophy, law and religion
      > simply because of the theme that to every situation (including
      > divorce) there are three sides, yours, his and the truth!

      While I'm not sure it's the best, anybody on this list will enjoy it.
      Some of the new chanbara films are less cut and dry than the older ones,
      so titles like the Twilight Samurai are in similar veins.

      Jim
    • Katashi Itto
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 17, 2012
        Here Is Rashomon 1950 Eng Subs

        The entire Movie:

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhHkDb6H5_c

        Have Created a Facebook Group where I am placing all these full length movies
        Samurai Cinema

        https://www.facebook.com/groups/236815816339637/

        Enjoy!

        Katashi Itto

        -Black Lotus Clan

      • LJonthebay
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 17, 2012
          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Katashi Itto <katashi_itto@...> wrote:

          > Here Is Rashomon 1950 Eng Subs
          >
          > The entire Movie:
          >

          > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhHkDb6H5_c

          It certainly doesn't look as it was uploaded by the holder of the copyright though. I'd just as soon support the legitimate efforts of Criterion to restore and release many of these classic films. (Which reminds me, my copy of Seven Samurai went missing and I need to acquire a copy of the release with the newly translated subtitles....)

          YMMV,

          Saionji Shonagon, West Kingdom
        • richard johnson
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 17, 2012
            Before these Kurosawa films were released in America, there was no way
            to see them outside an art theater.

            So I bought my set from a dealer in Singapore (I am since replacing
            them with the Criterion version for reasons that will soon become
            clear)

            The Singapore films seem to have been translated from Japanese into
            Chinese, then into Malaysian then into English.

            Now my Japanese has degenerated from lack of use since I lived in
            Japan in the 1060's but somehow having a two-minute speech be
            translated as three short lines cannot be accurate!
            It is as if the translators got bored and cut too many corners.

            The Criterion version are newly translated and so better that any
            other I have seen.

            --
            Rick Johnson
            http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 18, 2012
              Personally I own everything by Kurosawa.

              However, I think of the movies being there, as an opportunity to expose people to movies they might never otherwise see, and is a great resource for garb and historical content.

              Katashi Itto

              -Black Lotus Clan

            • richard johnson
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 18, 2012
                I may be older than dirt but am not THAT old! <g>
                Just dyslexic and bad fingers from all those years fighting.

                On 6/18/12, Katashi Itto <katashi_itto@...> wrote:
                > Personally I own everything by Kurosawa.
                >
                > However, I think of the movies being there, as an opportunity to expose
                > people to movies they might never otherwise see, and is a great resource for
                > garb and historical content.
                >
                > Katashi Itto
                >
                > -Black Lotus Clan

                Rick Johnson
                http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com
              • Katashi Itto
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 18, 2012
                  Hmmm, did you get your sword training from some Egyptian?  While living in the Highlands?

                  You dont happen to have a habit collect certain peoples heads do you?

                  Now spending your time incoginto in the SCA....?

                  Katashi Itto

                  -Black Lotus Clan

                  ________________________________

                  On 6/18/12, Katashi Itto <mailto:katashi_itto%40yahoo.com> wrote:
                  > Personally I own everything by Kurosawa.
                  >
                  > However, I think of the movies being there, as an opportunity to expose
                  > people to movies they might never otherwise see, and is a great resource for
                  > garb and historical content.
                  >
                  > Katashi Itto
                  >
                  > -Black Lotus Clan

                  Rick Johnson
                  http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com

                • richard johnson
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 18, 2012
                    ah yes, the katana-carrying-scot syndrome. I recall seeing that often
                    when the movies came out and withthe planned remake, expect to see it
                    again.

                    On 6/18/12, Katashi Itto <katashi_itto@...> wrote:
                    > Hmmm, did you get your sword training from some Egyptian?  While living in
                    > the Highlands?
                    >
                    > You dont happen to have a habit collect certain peoples heads do you?
                    >
                    > Now spending your time incoginto in the SCA....?
                    >
                    > Katashi Itto
                    >
                    > -Black Lotus Clan
                    >

                    > ________________________________

                    Rick Johnson
                    http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com
                  • Katashi Itto
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 18, 2012
                      Hmmm, off the cuff comments to sidestep the fact your really immortal.
                       Just remember we're watching you!

                      Damn katana-weilding immortals, cant go to an SCA event anymore without tripping over one or two.  Swear there outta be a law.
                      Always ranting about "There can only be one...!"

                      Katashi Itto

                      -Black Lotus Clan

                    • Katashi Itto
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 18, 2012
                         I think that movie went to their heads.  Before it came out, they would simply challege each other to a mean game of Backgammon.

                        Katashi Itto

                        -Black Lotus Clan

                      • richard johnson
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 18, 2012
                          >>Hmmm, off the cuff comments to sidestep the fact your really immortal.
                          >>Just remember we're watching you!

                          Immortal? hardly, just doomed to live a long life.

                          oh noooo.....you are watching me?
                          Not in my shower?
                          I used to have a neighbor woman watch my through my window when I
                          watched movies of an adult nature.
                          I hope you are not laughing as much as did she.\

                          BTW, when someone grants you immortality, be certain to include as a
                          rider to the contract youth and regeneration.
                          Age can be described as having to live with the problems and injuries
                          incurred in your youth.

                          On 6/18/12, Katashi Itto <katashi_itto@...> wrote:
                          >  I think that movie went to their heads.  Before it came out, they would
                          > simply challege each other to a mean game of Backgammon.
                          >
                          > Katashi Itto
                          >
                          > -Black Lotus Clan

                          Rick Johnson
                          http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com
                        • Yves de Lyle
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 19, 2012
                            Rashomon is also on the Internet Archive, and has been for years.

                            http://archive.org/details/dom-24164-rashomon

                            ---
                            Yves