Re: [SCA-JML] Geta Images/References?

  • Jeanel Walker
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 1, 2012
      my husband used landscaping timber to make my first pair and they were heavy but there solid and water proof were everyone was getting there feet wet I was above it by three inches. And the timbers were treated, when I got my indoor getas they were so light I could walk for days in them. Just putting that info out there

      Jeanel Walker aka Iolii or Takaatsu
      My Facebook Link =)My Deviant Art Page Link

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 1, 2012

        > my husband used landscaping timber to make my first pair and they were heavy but there solid and water proof were everyone was getting there feet wet I was above it by three inches. And the timbers were treated, when I got my indoor getas they were so light I could walk for days in them. Just putting that info out there

        The bath is about the only place that you might normally wear geta indoors. Maybe the doma (which has a dirt floor) as well. I understand the desire to have footwear indoors, but I would think that zori would fit the bill. Various sorts of slippers are worn indoors in modern Japan except of course on tatami where only stockings, tabi, or bare feet will do.

      • richard johnson
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 1, 2012
          I tried to make a pair of gets from pieces and it worked, I was just
          no happy. especially after I bought a replacement and compared what i
          did with what I bought.

          About the only reason I'd wear them is to stay out of the mud... but
          then, I'd probably sink to my tabi<g>.

          Hint! I make tables and wonder if wood glue and clamps would help
          you out? I do tables that way and rarely need anythign other than
          wood dowels at the stress points.

          > Noble Cousin!
          >
          > Greetings from Solveig!
          >
          >> my husband used landscaping timber to make my first pair and they were
          >> heavy but there solid and water proof were everyone was getting there feet
          >> wet I was above it by three inches. And the timbers were treated, when I
          >> got my indoor getas they were so light I could walk for days in them. Just
          >> putting that info out there
          >
          > The bath is about the only place that you might normally wear geta indoors.
          > Maybe the doma (which has a dirt floor) as well. I understand the desire to
          > have footwear indoors, but I would think that zori would fit the bill.
          > Various sorts of slippers are worn indoors in modern Japan except of course
          > on tatami where only stockings, tabi, or bare feet will do.
          >
          > Your Humble Servant
          > Solveig Throndardottir
          > Amateur Scholar

          Rick Johnson
          http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com
        • Ishiyama Gen'tarou Yori'ie
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 2, 2012
            Jeanel Walker wrote:
            > my husband used landscaping timber to make my first pair
            > and they were heavy but they're solid and water proof.
            > where everyone was getting there feet wet I was above it
            > by three inches. And the timbers were treated, when I got
            > my indoor getas they were so light I could walk for days
            > in them. Just putting that info out there

            It's very important that geta be made from lightweight wood.
            They should be light enough, and the straps tight enough,
            that they stick to the bottoms of your feet without flipping
            and flopping.

            Paulownia is about as light as balsa, but it is stronger. I
            used poplar (widely available at big box hardware stores) for
            a couple pairs, and it is fairly lightweight and very strong.
            I used cedar for another pair and it is much lighter, but not
            as strong. The cedar pair is very comfortable to wear, but
            one of the teeth split on a rock.