Re: [SCA-JML] Geta Images/References?

  • Ishiyama Gen'tarou Yori'ie
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 1, 2012
      richard johnson wrote:
      > i own a couple pairs of geta made in japan and both are carved from a
      > single piece of soft wood. Probably pine, and so the bottons are
      > showing wear from rocks.

      Most geta in Japan are made from kiri (paulownia).
      It is available in the US, but not widely available.

      > Of course, these are both modern and probably machine-made but I don;t
      > think there would be too much change in design over the centuries.

      Solid construction like you describe and pieced
      construction like I do are both common. So is wide
      variation in design of geta. Many kinds exist.

      Pieced construction enables me to make geta from
      commercially available lumber. It is difficult to get
      any kind of wood in large enough blocks to carve geta.

      --
      The Hon. Lord Ishiyama Gen'tarou Yori'ie
      (m.k.a. Elliott C. "Eeyore" Evans)
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 1, 2012
        my husband used landscaping timber to make my first pair and they were heavy but there solid and water proof were everyone was getting there feet wet I was above it by three inches. And the timbers were treated, when I got my indoor getas they were so light I could walk for days in them. Just putting that info out there

        Jeanel Walker aka Iolii or Takaatsu
        My Facebook Link =)My Deviant Art Page Link

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 1, 2012

          > my husband used landscaping timber to make my first pair and they were heavy but there solid and water proof were everyone was getting there feet wet I was above it by three inches. And the timbers were treated, when I got my indoor getas they were so light I could walk for days in them. Just putting that info out there

          The bath is about the only place that you might normally wear geta indoors. Maybe the doma (which has a dirt floor) as well. I understand the desire to have footwear indoors, but I would think that zori would fit the bill. Various sorts of slippers are worn indoors in modern Japan except of course on tatami where only stockings, tabi, or bare feet will do.

        • richard johnson
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 1, 2012
            I tried to make a pair of gets from pieces and it worked, I was just
            no happy. especially after I bought a replacement and compared what i
            did with what I bought.

            About the only reason I'd wear them is to stay out of the mud... but
            then, I'd probably sink to my tabi<g>.

            Hint! I make tables and wonder if wood glue and clamps would help
            you out? I do tables that way and rarely need anythign other than
            wood dowels at the stress points.

            > Noble Cousin!
            >
            > Greetings from Solveig!
            >
            >> my husband used landscaping timber to make my first pair and they were
            >> heavy but there solid and water proof were everyone was getting there feet
            >> wet I was above it by three inches. And the timbers were treated, when I
            >> got my indoor getas they were so light I could walk for days in them. Just
            >> putting that info out there
            >
            > The bath is about the only place that you might normally wear geta indoors.
            > Maybe the doma (which has a dirt floor) as well. I understand the desire to
            > have footwear indoors, but I would think that zori would fit the bill.
            > Various sorts of slippers are worn indoors in modern Japan except of course
            > on tatami where only stockings, tabi, or bare feet will do.
            >
            > Your Humble Servant
            > Solveig Throndardottir
            > Amateur Scholar

            Rick Johnson
            http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com
          • Ishiyama Gen'tarou Yori'ie
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 2, 2012
              Jeanel Walker wrote:
              > my husband used landscaping timber to make my first pair
              > and they were heavy but they're solid and water proof.
              > where everyone was getting there feet wet I was above it
              > by three inches. And the timbers were treated, when I got
              > my indoor getas they were so light I could walk for days
              > in them. Just putting that info out there

              It's very important that geta be made from lightweight wood.
              They should be light enough, and the straps tight enough,
              that they stick to the bottoms of your feet without flipping
              and flopping.

              Paulownia is about as light as balsa, but it is stronger. I
              used poplar (widely available at big box hardware stores) for
              a couple pairs, and it is fairly lightweight and very strong.
              I used cedar for another pair and it is much lighter, but not
              as strong. The cedar pair is very comfortable to wear, but
              one of the teeth split on a rock.