RE: [SCA-JML] Geta Images/References?

  • Ishiyama Gen'tarou Yori'ie
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 1, 2012
      Gaius Octavius Lunaris wrote:
      > I took a quick peek at your project page, and it looks
      > like you only glued the support pieces in place, yes?
      > I.e. not tacked down with nails/screws/etc, just wood glue?

      That is correct, though I have started using a wood
      glue that is designed for outdoor use. Also, my most
      recent pair (the cedar ones) has the teeth glued into
      a slot in the underside of the sole plate. That provides
      some mechanical reinforcement.

      Regarding longevity of geta, I don't find *any* geta to
      be particularly ling-lived when used as intended.
      Don't spend a lot of time or money on them.

      --
      The Hon. Lord Ishiyama Gen'tarou Yori'ie
      (m.k.a. Elliott C. "Eeyore" Evans)
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 1, 2012
        i own a couple pairs of geta made in japan and both are carved from a
        single piece of soft wood. Probably pine, and so the bottons are
        showing wear from rocks.

        Of course, these are both modern and probably machine-made but I don;t
        think there would be too much change in design over the centuries.

        Zori and Zori and the Waraji I make are made the same as in Medieval
        Japan, though I use macrame jutte instead of rice stems.

        --
        Rick Johnson
        http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 1, 2012
          richard johnson wrote:
          > i own a couple pairs of geta made in japan and both are carved from a
          > single piece of soft wood. Probably pine, and so the bottons are
          > showing wear from rocks.

          Most geta in Japan are made from kiri (paulownia).
          It is available in the US, but not widely available.

          > Of course, these are both modern and probably machine-made but I don;t
          > think there would be too much change in design over the centuries.

          Solid construction like you describe and pieced
          construction like I do are both common. So is wide
          variation in design of geta. Many kinds exist.

          Pieced construction enables me to make geta from
          commercially available lumber. It is difficult to get
          any kind of wood in large enough blocks to carve geta.

          --
          The Hon. Lord Ishiyama Gen'tarou Yori'ie
          (m.k.a. Elliott C. "Eeyore" Evans)
          ishiyama@...
        • Jeanel Walker
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 1, 2012
            my husband used landscaping timber to make my first pair and they were heavy but there solid and water proof were everyone was getting there feet wet I was above it by three inches. And the timbers were treated, when I got my indoor getas they were so light I could walk for days in them. Just putting that info out there

            Jeanel Walker aka Iolii or Takaatsu
            My Facebook Link =)My Deviant Art Page Link

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 1, 2012

              > my husband used landscaping timber to make my first pair and they were heavy but there solid and water proof were everyone was getting there feet wet I was above it by three inches. And the timbers were treated, when I got my indoor getas they were so light I could walk for days in them. Just putting that info out there

              The bath is about the only place that you might normally wear geta indoors. Maybe the doma (which has a dirt floor) as well. I understand the desire to have footwear indoors, but I would think that zori would fit the bill. Various sorts of slippers are worn indoors in modern Japan except of course on tatami where only stockings, tabi, or bare feet will do.

            • richard johnson
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 1, 2012
                I tried to make a pair of gets from pieces and it worked, I was just
                no happy. especially after I bought a replacement and compared what i
                did with what I bought.

                About the only reason I'd wear them is to stay out of the mud... but
                then, I'd probably sink to my tabi<g>.

                Hint! I make tables and wonder if wood glue and clamps would help
                you out? I do tables that way and rarely need anythign other than
                wood dowels at the stress points.

                > Noble Cousin!
                >
                > Greetings from Solveig!
                >
                >> my husband used landscaping timber to make my first pair and they were
                >> heavy but there solid and water proof were everyone was getting there feet
                >> wet I was above it by three inches. And the timbers were treated, when I
                >> got my indoor getas they were so light I could walk for days in them. Just
                >> putting that info out there
                >
                > The bath is about the only place that you might normally wear geta indoors.
                > Maybe the doma (which has a dirt floor) as well. I understand the desire to
                > have footwear indoors, but I would think that zori would fit the bill.
                > Various sorts of slippers are worn indoors in modern Japan except of course
                > on tatami where only stockings, tabi, or bare feet will do.
                >
                > Your Humble Servant
                > Solveig Throndardottir
                > Amateur Scholar

                Rick Johnson
                http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com
              • Ishiyama Gen'tarou Yori'ie
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 2, 2012
                  Jeanel Walker wrote:
                  > my husband used landscaping timber to make my first pair
                  > and they were heavy but they're solid and water proof.
                  > where everyone was getting there feet wet I was above it
                  > by three inches. And the timbers were treated, when I got
                  > my indoor getas they were so light I could walk for days
                  > in them. Just putting that info out there

                  It's very important that geta be made from lightweight wood.
                  They should be light enough, and the straps tight enough,
                  that they stick to the bottoms of your feet without flipping
                  and flopping.

                  Paulownia is about as light as balsa, but it is stronger. I
                  used poplar (widely available at big box hardware stores) for
                  a couple pairs, and it is fairly lightweight and very strong.
                  I used cedar for another pair and it is much lighter, but not
                  as strong. The cedar pair is very comfortable to wear, but
                  one of the teeth split on a rock.