RE: [SCA-JML] Geta Images/References?

  • Gaius Octavius Lunaris
    Message 1 of 10 , May 31 12:51 PM
      I've thought of making my own geta mostly because even the largest ones I
      can find don't seem to be big enough for my gaijin feet, and because the
      last pair I wore I destroyed in 6 months to a year's time (silly pavement
      being harder than wood and dirt floors that were period). I took a quick
      peek at your project page, and it looks like you only glued the support
      pieces in place, yes? I.e. not tacked down with nails/screws/etc, just wood
      glue?

      --

      HL Octavius Lunaris

      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 1, 2012
        Gaius Octavius Lunaris wrote:
        > I took a quick peek at your project page, and it looks
        > like you only glued the support pieces in place, yes?
        > I.e. not tacked down with nails/screws/etc, just wood glue?

        That is correct, though I have started using a wood
        glue that is designed for outdoor use. Also, my most
        recent pair (the cedar ones) has the teeth glued into
        a slot in the underside of the sole plate. That provides
        some mechanical reinforcement.

        Regarding longevity of geta, I don't find *any* geta to
        be particularly ling-lived when used as intended.
        Don't spend a lot of time or money on them.

        --
        The Hon. Lord Ishiyama Gen'tarou Yori'ie
        (m.k.a. Elliott C. "Eeyore" Evans)
        ishiyama@...
      • richard johnson
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 1, 2012
          i own a couple pairs of geta made in japan and both are carved from a
          single piece of soft wood. Probably pine, and so the bottons are
          showing wear from rocks.

          Of course, these are both modern and probably machine-made but I don;t
          think there would be too much change in design over the centuries.

          Zori and Zori and the Waraji I make are made the same as in Medieval
          Japan, though I use macrame jutte instead of rice stems.

          --
          Rick Johnson
          http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 1, 2012
            richard johnson wrote:
            > i own a couple pairs of geta made in japan and both are carved from a
            > single piece of soft wood. Probably pine, and so the bottons are
            > showing wear from rocks.

            Most geta in Japan are made from kiri (paulownia).
            It is available in the US, but not widely available.

            > Of course, these are both modern and probably machine-made but I don;t
            > think there would be too much change in design over the centuries.

            Solid construction like you describe and pieced
            construction like I do are both common. So is wide
            variation in design of geta. Many kinds exist.

            Pieced construction enables me to make geta from
            commercially available lumber. It is difficult to get
            any kind of wood in large enough blocks to carve geta.

            --
            The Hon. Lord Ishiyama Gen'tarou Yori'ie
            (m.k.a. Elliott C. "Eeyore" Evans)
            ishiyama@...
          • Jeanel Walker
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 1, 2012
              my husband used landscaping timber to make my first pair and they were heavy but there solid and water proof were everyone was getting there feet wet I was above it by three inches. And the timbers were treated, when I got my indoor getas they were so light I could walk for days in them. Just putting that info out there

              Jeanel Walker aka Iolii or Takaatsu
              My Facebook Link =)My Deviant Art Page Link

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 1, 2012

                > my husband used landscaping timber to make my first pair and they were heavy but there solid and water proof were everyone was getting there feet wet I was above it by three inches. And the timbers were treated, when I got my indoor getas they were so light I could walk for days in them. Just putting that info out there

                The bath is about the only place that you might normally wear geta indoors. Maybe the doma (which has a dirt floor) as well. I understand the desire to have footwear indoors, but I would think that zori would fit the bill. Various sorts of slippers are worn indoors in modern Japan except of course on tatami where only stockings, tabi, or bare feet will do.

              • richard johnson
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 1, 2012
                  I tried to make a pair of gets from pieces and it worked, I was just
                  no happy. especially after I bought a replacement and compared what i
                  did with what I bought.

                  About the only reason I'd wear them is to stay out of the mud... but
                  then, I'd probably sink to my tabi<g>.

                  Hint! I make tables and wonder if wood glue and clamps would help
                  you out? I do tables that way and rarely need anythign other than
                  wood dowels at the stress points.

                  > Noble Cousin!
                  >
                  > Greetings from Solveig!
                  >
                  >> my husband used landscaping timber to make my first pair and they were
                  >> heavy but there solid and water proof were everyone was getting there feet
                  >> wet I was above it by three inches. And the timbers were treated, when I
                  >> got my indoor getas they were so light I could walk for days in them. Just
                  >> putting that info out there
                  >
                  > The bath is about the only place that you might normally wear geta indoors.
                  > Maybe the doma (which has a dirt floor) as well. I understand the desire to
                  > have footwear indoors, but I would think that zori would fit the bill.
                  > Various sorts of slippers are worn indoors in modern Japan except of course
                  > on tatami where only stockings, tabi, or bare feet will do.
                  >
                  > Your Humble Servant
                  > Solveig Throndardottir
                  > Amateur Scholar

                  Rick Johnson
                  http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com
                • Ishiyama Gen'tarou Yori'ie
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 2, 2012
                    Jeanel Walker wrote:
                    > my husband used landscaping timber to make my first pair
                    > and they were heavy but they're solid and water proof.
                    > where everyone was getting there feet wet I was above it
                    > by three inches. And the timbers were treated, when I got
                    > my indoor getas they were so light I could walk for days
                    > in them. Just putting that info out there

                    It's very important that geta be made from lightweight wood.
                    They should be light enough, and the straps tight enough,
                    that they stick to the bottoms of your feet without flipping
                    and flopping.

                    Paulownia is about as light as balsa, but it is stronger. I
                    used poplar (widely available at big box hardware stores) for
                    a couple pairs, and it is fairly lightweight and very strong.
                    I used cedar for another pair and it is much lighter, but not
                    as strong. The cedar pair is very comfortable to wear, but
                    one of the teeth split on a rock.