Re: [SCA-JML] Re: art forms

  • Ellen Badgley
    Message 1 of 9 , May 10 10:52 AM
      This is fascinating. I'd love to see pictures of your projects! For my
      part, the Thai-style leaf-bound scriptures have always interested me.

      The Takeda you refer to is our good friend Takeda Sanjuichiro Akimasa, who
      is ever-ready to help out with interesting projects like this! You're very
      lucky to have him in Sylvan Glen now (although we miss him terribly!)

      - Abe Akirakeiko (Stierbach)

      On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 12:39 PM, Jenn Prado <kaegwyn@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > First, I think it is wonderful that you are trying new things. It is good
      > to want to learn more.
      >
      > Have you considered book binding?
      >
      > I recently did some early period book binding. I did a Japanese stab
      > binding, a Chinese whirlwind scroll, an Indian pothi book, a scroll with
      > bamboo ends, and an early Coptic binding. I had lots of help from Takeda
      > (whose full name escapes me at the moment), who cut my bamboo and drilled
      > holes for me. I really enjoyed being able to do the same type of project
      > from different areas to see the similarities within the varying methods of
      > binding. I feel Asian bookbinding styles are a great place to start because
      > they do not require all of the tools, space, and experience needed for
      > later forms and European bindings.
      >
      > Ylaire Sainte Claire
      > Minister of Arts and Sciences
      > Shire of Sylvan Glen
      >
      > Sent from my iPhone

    • Jenn Prado
      Message 2 of 9 , May 11 5:06 PM
        Pictures: I'm really bad about not taking pictures. I am also equally bad about giving my items away. I don't have the pothi book or Japanese stab book anymore. I do still have the Coptic, scroll, and whirlwind scroll (my favorite). I will put photos on my to-do list.

        Ylaire Sainte Claire

        Sent from my iPad
      • luiseach
        Message 3 of 9 , May 13 3:48 PM
          Period Japanese bookbinding is a great art form to explore; as other people have said you don't need all of the [expensive] equipment you need for western book forms, although a Dremel tool with a drill stand is nice.

          Fujioka Tora
          Caid
          laurel in book arts--probably still only listed under my other name.