Re: art forms

  • LJonthebay
    Message 1 of 9 , May 9, 2012
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Jeanel Walker <brytephyre@...> wrote:

      > Have you thought about Origami?

      Most of what we think of as origami appears to post-date the SCA period, as far as I've been able to ascertain. There is mention of folded and knotted letters and messages in one or more of the Heian diaries (can't recall which off the top of my head). There are slso shide, the folded strips of paper found on shimenawa that hang in Shinto sacred spaces or from "lightning wands" used for purification.

      If anyone has pre-Edo sources for origami, do share! I've looked....

      Saionji Shonagon
      West Kingdom
    • Jenn Prado
      Message 2 of 9 , May 10, 2012
        First, I think it is wonderful that you are trying new things. It is good to want to learn more.

        Have you considered book binding?

        I recently did some early period book binding. I did a Japanese stab binding, a Chinese whirlwind scroll, an Indian pothi book, a scroll with bamboo ends, and an early Coptic binding. I had lots of help from Takeda (whose full name escapes me at the moment), who cut my bamboo and drilled holes for me. I really enjoyed being able to do the same type of project from different areas to see the similarities within the varying methods of binding. I feel Asian bookbinding styles are a great place to start because they do not require all of the tools, space, and experience needed for later forms and European bindings.

        Ylaire Sainte Claire
        Minister of Arts and Sciences
        Shire of Sylvan Glen

        Sent from my iPhone
      • Ellen Badgley
        Message 3 of 9 , May 10, 2012
          This is fascinating. I'd love to see pictures of your projects! For my
          part, the Thai-style leaf-bound scriptures have always interested me.

          The Takeda you refer to is our good friend Takeda Sanjuichiro Akimasa, who
          is ever-ready to help out with interesting projects like this! You're very
          lucky to have him in Sylvan Glen now (although we miss him terribly!)

          - Abe Akirakeiko (Stierbach)

          On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 12:39 PM, Jenn Prado <kaegwyn@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > First, I think it is wonderful that you are trying new things. It is good
          > to want to learn more.
          >
          > Have you considered book binding?
          >
          > I recently did some early period book binding. I did a Japanese stab
          > binding, a Chinese whirlwind scroll, an Indian pothi book, a scroll with
          > bamboo ends, and an early Coptic binding. I had lots of help from Takeda
          > (whose full name escapes me at the moment), who cut my bamboo and drilled
          > holes for me. I really enjoyed being able to do the same type of project
          > from different areas to see the similarities within the varying methods of
          > binding. I feel Asian bookbinding styles are a great place to start because
          > they do not require all of the tools, space, and experience needed for
          > later forms and European bindings.
          >
          > Ylaire Sainte Claire
          > Minister of Arts and Sciences
          > Shire of Sylvan Glen
          >
          > Sent from my iPhone

        • Jenn Prado
          Message 4 of 9 , May 11, 2012
            Pictures: I'm really bad about not taking pictures. I am also equally bad about giving my items away. I don't have the pothi book or Japanese stab book anymore. I do still have the Coptic, scroll, and whirlwind scroll (my favorite). I will put photos on my to-do list.

            Ylaire Sainte Claire

            Sent from my iPad
          • luiseach
            Message 5 of 9 , May 13, 2012
              Period Japanese bookbinding is a great art form to explore; as other people have said you don't need all of the [expensive] equipment you need for western book forms, although a Dremel tool with a drill stand is nice.

              Fujioka Tora
              Caid
              laurel in book arts--probably still only listed under my other name.