art forms

  • Sakura Takeda
    Message 1 of 9 , May 9, 2012
      Lately, i've been researching period art forms for my persona. I work mainly in pottery, but would love to find other types to try out. I was sad to find wood cuts are out of period (or am I wrong?) I've tried my hand at Sumi-e and Maki-but, I was wondering what other art forms are period (my persona is late Muromachi). Can anyone direct me to a good website or book?

      Thanks
      _________
      Takeda Sakura

    • Ishiyama Gen'tarou Yori'ie
      Message 2 of 9 , May 9, 2012
        Takeda Sakura wrote:
        > I've tried my hand at Sumi-e and Maki-but, I was wondering what other art
        > forms are period (my persona is late Muromachi). Can anyone direct me to
        > a good website or book?

        One of my favorite books for late period is "Japan's Golden Age; Momoyama"
        edited by Money L. Hickman (Yale University Press, 1996).

        http://yalepress.yale.edu/yupbooks/book.asp?isbn=9780300094077

        It contains essays on portraiture, sculpture, painting, calligraphy, tea
        ceremony utensils and ceramics, lacquer and metalwork, arms and armor,
        textiles, and noh masks. Each chapter contains color photographs of actual
        works from the timeframe, and the book has a full index and bibligraphy.

        --
        The Hon. Lord Ishiyama Gen'tarou Yori'ie
        (mka: Elliott C. "Eeyore" Evans)
        Message 3 of 9 , May 9, 2012
          Have you thought about Origami?

          Jeanel Walker aka Iolii or Takaatsu
          My Facebook Link =)My Deviant Art Page Link

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 9 , May 9, 2012
            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Sakura Takeda <takedasakura@...> wrote:

            > Lately, i've been researching period art forms for my persona. I work mainly in pottery, but would love to find other types to try out. I was sad to find wood cuts are out of period (or am I wrong?) I've tried my hand at Sumi-e and Maki-but, I was wondering what other art forms are period (my persona is late Muromachi). Can anyone direct me to a good website or book?

            "The Arts of Japan" by Seiroku Noma is a decent two-volume overview, Volume 1 covering the ancient and medieval period. You should be able to find it in the library. The Heibonsha Survey of Japanese Art comprises multiple volumes on a variety of subjects. Each book runs about 150 pages with black and white and color plates and provides a good introduction to each subject. There's a list of titles at http://www.paragonbook.com/html/browsesubj/fullcitation.cfm?item=18337

            Again, check your library.

            Other arts and crafts that are period include various forms of shibori (shaped resist dyeing), yamato-e painting (both in color and the monochrome hakubyo style), ceramics, lacquerware, woodwork, kumihimo, calligraphy, metalwork....

            Saionji Shonagon
            West Kingdom
          • LJonthebay
            Message 5 of 9 , May 9, 2012
              --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Jeanel Walker <brytephyre@...> wrote:

              > Have you thought about Origami?

              Most of what we think of as origami appears to post-date the SCA period, as far as I've been able to ascertain. There is mention of folded and knotted letters and messages in one or more of the Heian diaries (can't recall which off the top of my head). There are slso shide, the folded strips of paper found on shimenawa that hang in Shinto sacred spaces or from "lightning wands" used for purification.

              If anyone has pre-Edo sources for origami, do share! I've looked....

              Saionji Shonagon
              West Kingdom
            • Jenn Prado
              Message 6 of 9 , May 10, 2012
                First, I think it is wonderful that you are trying new things. It is good to want to learn more.

                Have you considered book binding?

                I recently did some early period book binding. I did a Japanese stab binding, a Chinese whirlwind scroll, an Indian pothi book, a scroll with bamboo ends, and an early Coptic binding. I had lots of help from Takeda (whose full name escapes me at the moment), who cut my bamboo and drilled holes for me. I really enjoyed being able to do the same type of project from different areas to see the similarities within the varying methods of binding. I feel Asian bookbinding styles are a great place to start because they do not require all of the tools, space, and experience needed for later forms and European bindings.

                Ylaire Sainte Claire
                Minister of Arts and Sciences
                Shire of Sylvan Glen

                Sent from my iPhone
              • Ellen Badgley
                Message 7 of 9 , May 10, 2012
                  This is fascinating. I'd love to see pictures of your projects! For my
                  part, the Thai-style leaf-bound scriptures have always interested me.

                  The Takeda you refer to is our good friend Takeda Sanjuichiro Akimasa, who
                  is ever-ready to help out with interesting projects like this! You're very
                  lucky to have him in Sylvan Glen now (although we miss him terribly!)

                  - Abe Akirakeiko (Stierbach)

                  On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 12:39 PM, Jenn Prado <kaegwyn@...> wrote:

                  > **
                  >

                  > First, I think it is wonderful that you are trying new things. It is good
                  > to want to learn more.
                  >
                  > Have you considered book binding?
                  >
                  > I recently did some early period book binding. I did a Japanese stab
                  > binding, a Chinese whirlwind scroll, an Indian pothi book, a scroll with
                  > bamboo ends, and an early Coptic binding. I had lots of help from Takeda
                  > (whose full name escapes me at the moment), who cut my bamboo and drilled
                  > holes for me. I really enjoyed being able to do the same type of project
                  > from different areas to see the similarities within the varying methods of
                  > binding. I feel Asian bookbinding styles are a great place to start because
                  > they do not require all of the tools, space, and experience needed for
                  > later forms and European bindings.
                  >
                  > Ylaire Sainte Claire
                  > Minister of Arts and Sciences
                  > Shire of Sylvan Glen
                  >
                  > Sent from my iPhone

                • Jenn Prado
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 11, 2012
                    Pictures: I'm really bad about not taking pictures. I am also equally bad about giving my items away. I don't have the pothi book or Japanese stab book anymore. I do still have the Coptic, scroll, and whirlwind scroll (my favorite). I will put photos on my to-do list.

                    Ylaire Sainte Claire

                    Sent from my iPad
                  • luiseach
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 13, 2012
                      Period Japanese bookbinding is a great art form to explore; as other people have said you don't need all of the [expensive] equipment you need for western book forms, although a Dremel tool with a drill stand is nice.

                      Fujioka Tora
                      Caid
                      laurel in book arts--probably still only listed under my other name.