Re: [SCA-JML] Geta Images/References?

  • Ishiyama Gen'tarou Yori'ie
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 28, 2012
      Carey Gorla wrote:
      > I was wondering if anyone had any references or images for
      > the type of geta with the two pieces that elevate the shoe
      > off the ground?

      Here's some information on the web site for what is apparently
      the Japan Footwear, Folk Toy, and Doll Museum.

      J - http://www.footandtoy.jp/htenjiannai.html
      E - http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.footandtoy.jp%2Fhtenjiannai.html

      There's a tiny little bit of information on Wikipedia.

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geta_%28footwear%29

      These two associated pages are still my favorites.

      http://japanesegeta.com/
      http://www.egeorgeonline.com/getapage/index.html

      Lastly, because all promotion is self-promotion, I should
      mention my own project page.

      http://www.ee0r.com/proj/geta.html

      Hope all those help!

      --
      The Hon. Lord Ishiyama Gen'tarou Yori'ie
      (mka: Elliott C. "Eeyore" Evans)
      Message 2 of 10 , May 31 12:51 PM
        I've thought of making my own geta mostly because even the largest ones I
        can find don't seem to be big enough for my gaijin feet, and because the
        last pair I wore I destroyed in 6 months to a year's time (silly pavement
        being harder than wood and dirt floors that were period). I took a quick
        peek at your project page, and it looks like you only glued the support
        pieces in place, yes? I.e. not tacked down with nails/screws/etc, just wood
        glue?

        --

        HL Octavius Lunaris

        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 1, 2012
          Gaius Octavius Lunaris wrote:
          > I took a quick peek at your project page, and it looks
          > like you only glued the support pieces in place, yes?
          > I.e. not tacked down with nails/screws/etc, just wood glue?

          That is correct, though I have started using a wood
          glue that is designed for outdoor use. Also, my most
          recent pair (the cedar ones) has the teeth glued into
          a slot in the underside of the sole plate. That provides
          some mechanical reinforcement.

          Regarding longevity of geta, I don't find *any* geta to
          be particularly ling-lived when used as intended.
          Don't spend a lot of time or money on them.

          --
          The Hon. Lord Ishiyama Gen'tarou Yori'ie
          (m.k.a. Elliott C. "Eeyore" Evans)
          ishiyama@...
        • richard johnson
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 1, 2012
            i own a couple pairs of geta made in japan and both are carved from a
            single piece of soft wood. Probably pine, and so the bottons are
            showing wear from rocks.

            Of course, these are both modern and probably machine-made but I don;t
            think there would be too much change in design over the centuries.

            Zori and Zori and the Waraji I make are made the same as in Medieval
            Japan, though I use macrame jutte instead of rice stems.

            --
            Rick Johnson
            http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 1, 2012
              richard johnson wrote:
              > i own a couple pairs of geta made in japan and both are carved from a
              > single piece of soft wood. Probably pine, and so the bottons are
              > showing wear from rocks.

              Most geta in Japan are made from kiri (paulownia).
              It is available in the US, but not widely available.

              > Of course, these are both modern and probably machine-made but I don;t
              > think there would be too much change in design over the centuries.

              Solid construction like you describe and pieced
              construction like I do are both common. So is wide
              variation in design of geta. Many kinds exist.

              Pieced construction enables me to make geta from
              commercially available lumber. It is difficult to get
              any kind of wood in large enough blocks to carve geta.

              --
              The Hon. Lord Ishiyama Gen'tarou Yori'ie
              (m.k.a. Elliott C. "Eeyore" Evans)
              ishiyama@...
            • Jeanel Walker
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 1, 2012
                my husband used landscaping timber to make my first pair and they were heavy but there solid and water proof were everyone was getting there feet wet I was above it by three inches. And the timbers were treated, when I got my indoor getas they were so light I could walk for days in them. Just putting that info out there

                Jeanel Walker aka Iolii or Takaatsu
                My Facebook Link =)My Deviant Art Page Link

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 1, 2012

                  > my husband used landscaping timber to make my first pair and they were heavy but there solid and water proof were everyone was getting there feet wet I was above it by three inches. And the timbers were treated, when I got my indoor getas they were so light I could walk for days in them. Just putting that info out there

                  The bath is about the only place that you might normally wear geta indoors. Maybe the doma (which has a dirt floor) as well. I understand the desire to have footwear indoors, but I would think that zori would fit the bill. Various sorts of slippers are worn indoors in modern Japan except of course on tatami where only stockings, tabi, or bare feet will do.

                • richard johnson
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 1, 2012
                    I tried to make a pair of gets from pieces and it worked, I was just
                    no happy. especially after I bought a replacement and compared what i
                    did with what I bought.

                    About the only reason I'd wear them is to stay out of the mud... but
                    then, I'd probably sink to my tabi<g>.

                    Hint! I make tables and wonder if wood glue and clamps would help
                    you out? I do tables that way and rarely need anythign other than
                    wood dowels at the stress points.

                    > Noble Cousin!
                    >
                    > Greetings from Solveig!
                    >
                    >> my husband used landscaping timber to make my first pair and they were
                    >> heavy but there solid and water proof were everyone was getting there feet
                    >> wet I was above it by three inches. And the timbers were treated, when I
                    >> got my indoor getas they were so light I could walk for days in them. Just
                    >> putting that info out there
                    >
                    > The bath is about the only place that you might normally wear geta indoors.
                    > Maybe the doma (which has a dirt floor) as well. I understand the desire to
                    > have footwear indoors, but I would think that zori would fit the bill.
                    > Various sorts of slippers are worn indoors in modern Japan except of course
                    > on tatami where only stockings, tabi, or bare feet will do.
                    >
                    > Your Humble Servant
                    > Solveig Throndardottir
                    > Amateur Scholar

                    Rick Johnson
                    http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com
                  • Ishiyama Gen'tarou Yori'ie
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 2, 2012
                      Jeanel Walker wrote:
                      > my husband used landscaping timber to make my first pair
                      > and they were heavy but they're solid and water proof.
                      > where everyone was getting there feet wet I was above it
                      > by three inches. And the timbers were treated, when I got
                      > my indoor getas they were so light I could walk for days
                      > in them. Just putting that info out there

                      It's very important that geta be made from lightweight wood.
                      They should be light enough, and the straps tight enough,
                      that they stick to the bottoms of your feet without flipping
                      and flopping.

                      Paulownia is about as light as balsa, but it is stronger. I
                      used poplar (widely available at big box hardware stores) for
                      a couple pairs, and it is fairly lightweight and very strong.
                      I used cedar for another pair and it is much lighter, but not
                      as strong. The cedar pair is very comfortable to wear, but
                      one of the teeth split on a rock.