word

  • richard johnson
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 16, 2012
      There is a word for a Ronin or Samurai who is not serving a Lord but
      travels to protect villagers and peasants from the abuses of wayword
      samurai or other bandits.

      I cannot remember that term and am hoping that someone here
      understands the idea.

      Kurosawa touches on this in many of his films.

      --
      Rick Johnson
      http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 16, 2012
        richard johnson wrote:
        > There is a word for a Ronin or Samurai who is not serving a Lord but
        > travels to protect villagers and peasants from the abuses of wayword
        > samurai or other bandits.

        "Yojimbo"?

        I think a literal translation is more like "bodyguard",
        but Kurosawa does have a movie by that title and your
        description more-or-less matches the main character.

        --
        The Hon. Lord Ishiyama Gen'tarou Yori'ie
        (m.k.a. Elliott C. "Eeyore" Evans)
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 16, 2012
          No, it is another term for a similar person.or situation.
          I understand the film, but the term i read years ago was different.

          --
          Rick Johnson
          http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 16, 2012
            The term ronin means masterless samurai

            Sent from my iPhone

            On Apr 16, 2012, at 2:51 PM, richard johnson <rikjohnson39@...> wrote:

            > No, it is another term for a similar person.or situation.
            > I understand the film, but the term i read years ago was different.
            >
            > On 4/16/12, Ishiyama Gen'tarou Yori'ie <ishiyama@...> wrote:
            > > richard johnson wrote:
            > >> There is a word for a Ronin or Samurai who is not serving a Lord but
            > >> travels to protect villagers and peasants from the abuses of wayword
            > >> samurai or other bandits.
            > >
            > > "Yojimbo"?
            > >
            > > I think a literal translation is more like "bodyguard",
            > > but Kurosawa does have a movie by that title and your
            > > description more-or-less matches the main character.
            > >
            > > --
            > > The Hon. Lord Ishiyama Gen'tarou Yori'ie
            > > (m.k.a. Elliott C. "Eeyore" Evans)
            > > ishiyama@...
            > >

            > --
            > Rick Johnson
            > http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com
            >

            > TODAY(Beta) • Powered by Yahoo!
            > Wounded Marine faces scary next move
            > Privacy Policy

          • the Piper
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 17, 2012
              I believe the term would be "watarikashi" which would be a person, usually an ashigaru, hired on temporary basis to protect a person or persons on trips, etc.

              Ishikawa Moritake