Re: Kasutera/Castela - a Portuguese sweet bread from 16th c. Japan

  • LJonthebay
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 2, 2012

      > The fancy whisking could be in the oral instructions. Given a culture of knife ceremonies, fancy whisking would not be surprising.

      Rath describes this as a flat, pancake-like bread. Whisking aerates the eggs and to my mind, makes sense for a cake batter, less for a bread dough.

      I fully intend to pester one of our cooking Laurels if I see her this weekend because I would LOVE to find a Portuguese or Spanish source for comparison.

      Saionji Shonagon