Re: Could someone help me identify these "pants"?

  • Jess
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 26 6:46 AM
      It's funny that you mention those hakama, the movie those pictures are from is Red Sun with Toshiro Mifune and Charles Bronson. When I was making my husband's first set of Japanese garb he said he wanted pants like the ones Mifune wore in Red Sun. I searched the web, and every Japanese clothing book I could find, trying to figure out what kind of pants those were. I watched the movie several times, fast-forwarding to any scene where I could clearly see the pants and found a brief snippet of a scene that answered the question. They are normal hakama that he hitches up at the sides and tucks into his obi making them look like short, baggy, hakama. As soon as I read your subject line that movie popped into my head and I chuckled when I saw the pictures.

      Sanada Katsumi
    • Pia Lampert
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 26 10:47 AM
        Heh, yeah same here. I stumbled across the movie and liked it at once. When I saw his "pants" I wanted to have them, but like you I had problems to figure out what kind of pants Mifune is wearing.  Good to know that there are people out here with so much knowledge =)

        But how would you tuck your Hakama into your obi? Anyways I am going to do that as well. it looks really stylish.

        Amaya

        ________________________________
        It's funny that you mention those hakama, the movie those pictures are from is Red Sun with Toshiro Mifune and Charles Bronson. When I was making my husband's first set of Japanese garb he said he wanted pants like the ones Mifune wore in Red Sun. I searched the web, and every Japanese clothing book I could find, trying to figure out what kind of pants those were. I watched the movie several times, fast-forwarding to any scene where I could clearly see the pants and found a brief snippet of a scene that answered the question. They are normal hakama that he hitches up at the sides and tucks into his obi making them look like short, baggy, hakama. As soon as I read your subject line that movie popped into my head and I chuckled when I saw the pictures.

        Sanada Katsumi

      • LJonthebay
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 26 10:56 AM
          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Pia Lampert <ti1816@...> wrote:
          > But how would you tuck your Hakama into your obi?

          You don't. The obi goes on underneath. Yes, really.

          Saionji Shonagon
          West Kingdom
        • Ishiyama Gen'tarou Yori'ie
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 26 11:58 AM
            Pia Lampert wrote:
            > But how would you tuck your Hakama into your obi? Anyways I am going
            > to do that as well. it looks really stylish.

            I don't do this myself, but some people swear by it in hot weather. Just reach down in through the side openings of the hakama, grab the bottom hem, pull it up, and tuck a corner of it up between the obi (or the hakama himo if you're not wearing an obi) and kosode.

            I guess you could do this at multiple points to even it out, but most people seem to do it just at either side.
            --
            The Hon. Lord Ishiyama Gen'tarou Yori'ie
            (m.k.a. Elliott C. "Eeyore" Evans)
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 27 6:46 AM
              For a shortening of the legs somewhere between full length and pulling the bottom hem up to the belt, you can also grab the lowest point of the side cuts and pull it up through the obi/himo. Both of the people in the foreground of this picture have done it: http://s163.photobucket.com/albums/t303/jdmcowan/?action=view¤t=DSCF2833.jpg

              To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.com
              From: ishiyama@...
              Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 14:58:30 -0400

              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 28 9:31 AM

                > But how would you tuck your Hakama into your obi? Anyways I am going to do that as well. it looks really stylish.

                It's not exactly stylish. It is like rolling up your sleeves. It is part of a chambara cliche. The samurai going into a duel or other similar action also tie back their sleeves with a cord.