Re: Request for HTML help...

  • srmalloy@home.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 29, 2000
      --- In sca-jml@egroups.com, "Anthony J. Bryant" <ajbryant@i...> wrote:
      > When I look at them using MS Explorer (ack! Ptui!) they look fine;
      but when I look
      > at them with Netscape Communicator, the spacing is all wonky (extra
      spaces after
      > italics, for example), and sometimes the text with diacritics gets
      "adjusted" -- so
      > that rather than an "o" with a circumflex, what shows up is "o^"
      ... This doesn't
      > seem to be happening NOW, but it did this am. In some pages, they
      get totally
      > stripped out and replaced with a "?"...

      Macs and PCs don't use the same character mapping, and neither one is
      the mapping used by HTML. And I've seen computers where, to get a
      character with a diacritical mark, what had to be in the file was
      to other computers. The reason you're getting '?' in place of the
      diacritized characters is that Netscape defaults to a '?' when it
      gets a character it doesn't understand how to display.

      For widest support, you should use the HTML special characters for
      characters with diacritics. These are short strings prefaced by '&'
      and followed by ';', so that the browser knows to parse them as a
      special character. And, yes, because of this, in order to get an '&'
      character in an HTML file, you should use '&'.

      The naming is relatively straightforward; a circumflexed 'o' is
      'ô', circumflexed 'u' is 'û', an umlauted 'o' is
      'ö', an acute 'o' is 'ó', etc. Capital characters work
      the same way; a circumflexed 'O' is 'Ô'.

      Webreference.com has an article detailing the HTML special characters
      and symbols; the article starts at http://www.webr
      eference.com/html/reference/character/ and lists the special
      characters for the ISOLatin1 character set, symbols, greek letters,
      and math symbols (most of which aren't correctly displayed by
      Netscape 4 or less), and international characters.