RE: [SCA-JML] Re: A question of time??

  • KATYA GILLEY
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 3, 2012
      It is very simple, I once didn't cover up to well in court( albeit a small court), And my Knight gave me a stern but loving talking to! Shortly thereafter he wore black jeans, I desire simple to go over the top in as evilly period way ,as I might to make this Very kind man Smile,
      Now the have stepped down from their Baronial duties!!!! I love wearing non traditional garb!!!
      If it were uo to me Id wear nothing but kilts and Kimono all the time. Also I Play as a Spartan warrior,because the comfortable garb!!!
      WELL AND THE KILLER FIGHTING!!!!!
      Thank you ever so much!

      Noriyama Ono Doken
      AKA
      Eudorus of Sparta

      RAIN OR SUNSHINE IS OF NO MATTER,THEIR HONOR IS GREATER THAN THEIR MOOD.

      WECK UP TO THEES!!!

      To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.com
      From: wodeford@...
      Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2012 15:57:07 +0000
      Subject: [SCA-JML] Re: A question of time??

      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, KATYA GILLEY <samuraidragonflytiger@...> wrote:

      > I want to make a period garb out of as close as possible to "jeans" as I could get,you have given me excellent food for thought!

      Goodness, why? Isn't the point of all this to get to be larger than life a few hours a week and wear something you DON'T normally wear?

      It is for me. (Though it was pretty funny the other night when I took some friends over to watch fight practice and the fighter I introduced them to didn't recognize me right away because I was wearing jeans and a storm coat instead of Japanese dress.)

      Saionji Shonagon, here for the pretties,

    • LJonthebay
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 4, 2012
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, KATYA GILLEY <fuzzywonder@...> wrote:

        > It is very simple, I once didn't cover up to well in court( albeit a small court), And my Knight gave me a stern but loving talking to! Shortly thereafter he wore black jeans, I desire simple to go over the top in as evilly period way ,as I might to make this Very kind man Smile,

        Personally, I prefer doing Japanese better than the 99% in European dress, that the barbarians must lift their jaws from the floor with both hands and admit, "OK, that's pretty cool!"

        Saionji no It Pays Off
        West Kingdom
      • fuzzywonder@hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 4, 2012
          do you happen to know anything about the patchwork kimono and the stitching patterns that was used?
          and again my sincerest thanks
          Sent from my LG phone

          LJonthebay <wodeford@...> wrote:

          >--- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, KATYA GILLEY <fuzzywonder@...> wrote:
          >>

          >> It is very simple, I once didn't cover up to well in court( albeit a small court), And my Knight gave me a stern but loving talking to! Shortly thereafter he wore black jeans, I desire simple to go over the top in as evilly period way ,as I might to make this Very kind man Smile,
          >

          >Personally, I prefer doing Japanese better than the 99% in European dress, that the barbarians must lift their jaws from the floor with both hands and admit, "OK, that's pretty cool!"
          >
          >Saionji no It Pays Off
          >West Kingdom

        • LJonthebay
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 4, 2012
            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "fuzzywonder@..." <fuzzywonder@...> wrote:

            > do you happen to know anything about the patchwork kimono and the stitching patterns that was used?

            If you are referring to sachiko (the white stitching usually done on indigo), it's (a) post-SCA-period and (b) was used mainly to reinforce peasant work clothing. (There is an 8th century textile in a museum that uses a similar technique, but that's the only period example I'm familiar with).

            If you are referring to pieced garments, they were fashionable in the 16th century.
            Some extant examples include the following:

            http://wodefordhall.com/uesugikenshin.jpg
            http://wodefordhall.com/patch.jpg
            http://wodefordhall.com/patch.jpg

            Saionji Shonagon