Re: Period bling

  • LJonthebay
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 3 8:29 AM
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, johanna_merryngton@... <johanna_merryngton@...> wrote:

      > I have a question, please. My daughter is Sengoku period and I would like to make some period bling to accent her garb. I'm not sure what is appropriate. Thank you for your help.

      The textiles ARE the bling. The Japanese did jewelry very early - we have tomb figures called haniwa wearing necklaces and such - but it went away.

      A great way to add some "bling" to a late period ensemble is with a brocade obi.
      Check eBay for "hannaba" or "han haba" obi and look for the synthetic ones with metallic threads. Find one you like that has different patterns or colors on each side, if you can. You can get two nice, period-width obi out of one by taking it apart and sewing each piece back together widthwise.

      Hope this helps.

      Saionji Shonagon