Re: [SCA-JML] Re: A question of time??

  • KATYA GILLEY
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 2 11:18 PM
      Thank you for such a quick and lovely response,the article was very enjoyable,(live in Levis since I could walk),and I want to make a period garb out of as close as possible to "jeans" as I could get,you have given me excellent food for thought!you have my respect and smiles!!

      Noriyama Ono Doken
      Clan Chief

      Tribe of the Dark Order

      From  Eudorus son of Theognis, Spartan
      Never Mistake My Compassion For Weakness!

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 3 7:57 AM
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, KATYA GILLEY <samuraidragonflytiger@...> wrote:
        > I want to make a period garb out of as close as possible to "jeans" as I could get,you have given me excellent food for thought!

        Goodness, why? Isn't the point of all this to get to be larger than life a few hours a week and wear something you DON'T normally wear?
        It is for me. (Though it was pretty funny the other night when I took some friends over to watch fight practice and the fighter I introduced them to didn't recognize me right away because I was wearing jeans and a storm coat instead of Japanese dress.)

        Saionji Shonagon, here for the pretties,
        West Kingdom
      • KATYA GILLEY
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 3 9:29 AM
          It is very simple, I once didn't cover up to well in court( albeit a small court), And my Knight gave me a stern but loving talking to! Shortly thereafter he wore black jeans, I desire simple to go over the top in as evilly period way ,as I might to make this Very kind man Smile,
          Now the have stepped down from their Baronial duties!!!! I love wearing non traditional garb!!!
          If it were uo to me Id wear nothing but kilts and Kimono all the time. Also I Play as a Spartan warrior,because the comfortable garb!!!
          WELL AND THE KILLER FIGHTING!!!!!
          Thank you ever so much!

          Noriyama Ono Doken
          AKA
          Eudorus of Sparta

          RAIN OR SUNSHINE IS OF NO MATTER,THEIR HONOR IS GREATER THAN THEIR MOOD.

          WECK UP TO THEES!!!

          To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.com
          From: wodeford@...
          Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2012 15:57:07 +0000

          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, KATYA GILLEY <samuraidragonflytiger@...> wrote:

          > I want to make a period garb out of as close as possible to "jeans" as I could get,you have given me excellent food for thought!

          Goodness, why? Isn't the point of all this to get to be larger than life a few hours a week and wear something you DON'T normally wear?

          It is for me. (Though it was pretty funny the other night when I took some friends over to watch fight practice and the fighter I introduced them to didn't recognize me right away because I was wearing jeans and a storm coat instead of Japanese dress.)

          Saionji Shonagon, here for the pretties,

        • LJonthebay
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 4 8:58 AM
            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, KATYA GILLEY <fuzzywonder@...> wrote:

            > It is very simple, I once didn't cover up to well in court( albeit a small court), And my Knight gave me a stern but loving talking to! Shortly thereafter he wore black jeans, I desire simple to go over the top in as evilly period way ,as I might to make this Very kind man Smile,

            Personally, I prefer doing Japanese better than the 99% in European dress, that the barbarians must lift their jaws from the floor with both hands and admit, "OK, that's pretty cool!"

            Saionji no It Pays Off
            West Kingdom
          • fuzzywonder@hotmail.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 4 9:21 AM
              do you happen to know anything about the patchwork kimono and the stitching patterns that was used?
              and again my sincerest thanks
              Sent from my LG phone

              LJonthebay <wodeford@...> wrote:

              >--- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, KATYA GILLEY <fuzzywonder@...> wrote:
              >>

              >> It is very simple, I once didn't cover up to well in court( albeit a small court), And my Knight gave me a stern but loving talking to! Shortly thereafter he wore black jeans, I desire simple to go over the top in as evilly period way ,as I might to make this Very kind man Smile,
              >

              >Personally, I prefer doing Japanese better than the 99% in European dress, that the barbarians must lift their jaws from the floor with both hands and admit, "OK, that's pretty cool!"
              >
              >Saionji no It Pays Off
              >West Kingdom

            • LJonthebay
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 4 9:50 AM
                --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "fuzzywonder@..." <fuzzywonder@...> wrote:

                > do you happen to know anything about the patchwork kimono and the stitching patterns that was used?

                If you are referring to sachiko (the white stitching usually done on indigo), it's (a) post-SCA-period and (b) was used mainly to reinforce peasant work clothing. (There is an 8th century textile in a museum that uses a similar technique, but that's the only period example I'm familiar with).

                If you are referring to pieced garments, they were fashionable in the 16th century.
                Some extant examples include the following:

                http://wodefordhall.com/uesugikenshin.jpg
                http://wodefordhall.com/patch.jpg
                http://wodefordhall.com/patch.jpg

                Saionji Shonagon