Re: [SCA-JML] trip to Japan

  • Carey Gorla
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 29, 2012
      If you happen to see any period hakama I am still looking for examples and wouldn't mind pictures but I have no idea where those might be found.
      Agnes

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 29, 2012
        Might I respectfully suggest that while in Kyoto you see if you can visit any and all ancient cemetaries ans take lots of pics of headstones.  The names once translated could be very helpful to everyone.

        Love is my law.  Love above all.

        This means that right or wrong any and all actions I take, and decisions I make will always be based in love. Love of self, others, creation, and the creators.  It also means that for me, All four of those loves must always strive for equality in my heart and soul.  It is the quest of my soul to try and live this way until the end of my days.
        -- Amy M. Simeister  ~personal wisdom~
      • Audrey Bergeron-Morin
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 29, 2012
          In addition to what's been said already...

          In Tokyo we really enjoyed the Tokyo-Edo museum.

          Also, in Kyoto, the gardens surrounding Ginkaku-ji are breathtaking (the
          pavilion might be also, but it was undergoing renovations when we went, so
          we didn't get to see it).

          On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 10:04 PM, tsukime_medb <heidilyn999@...> wrote:

          > Hi All,
          >
          > I am soon to make a trip to Japan for a conference. I was hoping to get
          > some good advice on must-see places of historical interest. My time is
          > limited, but I hope to indulge in my love of research. I will have 1 free
          > day in Tokyo and a few days in Kyoto. I am also going to Nara, but I think
          > the deer and the temple will take up the day I have there.
          >
          > In Kyoto I plan to visit the costume museum and any art museums I can get
          > to. My main artistic endeavors are gardening and bonsai, so I will be
          > visiting nurseries and gardens as much as I can. Please let me know if you
          > have other ideas!
          >
          > Also, if there are any pictures or bits of information I can get for
          > anyone on the list, please let me know!

        • ErinK
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 29, 2012
            I agree with Ii-dono about the museum in Tokyo and the stereotypical major temples in Kyoto. Kiyomizudera is a must, partly because the approach is through an awesome historic district lined with shops that have been there for generations and generations.

            Also if you have a few hours free in Tokyo one day I recommend Sensoji temple in Asakusa (a district of Tokyo). The temple itself isn't all that exciting IMHO but it has impressive gates (Google for "kaminarimon") and the street between the gate and the temple building is like a festival every day. It's been a tourist trap for a thousand years, so there are street food and tourist shops everywhere (which I kind of like). It's a great place to do souvenir shopping, and one of the few places you will see tourist-oriented "traditional" Japanese goods like geta and yukata and geisha wigs and stuff like that. There are nice inexpensive ryokan (inns) and restaurants on all the side streets there too.

            If "soon" is really soon then you might have trouble with crowding in Kyoto for cherry blossom season. Make sure you have lodging well in advance. By the way, I was last there in maple leaf season, and I found Ryoanji completely useless when crowded with tourists - if you go, make sure you get a few minutes of calm contemplation in. (But I think Ryoanji is not on the must-do list if you have limited time.)

            One of my favorite things in Japan is Nijo castle near Kyoto. It's a mid-sized palace with great gardens and beautiful rooms. I just love walking through and imagining living there!

            ERIN
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 29, 2012
              Ii dono!

              Greetings from Solveig!

              > Costume museum is good. In general, though, Tokyo has better museums,
              > in my opinion; in Kyoto you want to go see the temples, Gion, etc.
              > Kiyomizudera (Seisuiji) is a must. As is Kinkakuji.

              I like Ginkakuji better than Kinkakuji. I agree that Tokyo has great museums. If you want tea gardens in Tokyo, then go to the Goto museum. (I hope that I recall the name of the place correctly.)

            • setsuko_iwashiro
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 29, 2012
                If I could put in a pleading request... Go to The Costume Museum, and takes lots of photos. There are some detailed reproductions of kasane there- I've seen a few of them on Flickr- and they even did the linings! It would be great if there were a few more reference photos of those- especially of the sleeve edges at the wrist...

                I know I ought to feel guilty about asking that, and I sort of do... But it really is an incredible museum, and if you go there anyway...

                > Ii dono!
                >
                > Greetings from Solveig!
                >
                > > Costume museum is good. In general, though, Tokyo has better museums,
                > > in my opinion; in Kyoto you want to go see the temples, Gion, etc.
                > > Kiyomizudera (Seisuiji) is a must. As is Kinkakuji.
                >
                > I like Ginkakuji better than Kinkakuji. I agree that Tokyo has great museums. If you want tea gardens in Tokyo, then go to the Goto museum. (I hope that I recall the name of the place correctly.)
                >
                > Your Humble Servant
                > Solveig Throndardottir
                > Amateur Scholar

              • Audrey Bergeron-Morin
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 29, 2012

                  > If I could put in a pleading request... Go to The Costume Museum, and
                  > takes lots of photos. There are some detailed reproductions of kasane
                  > there- I've seen a few of them on Flickr- and they even did the linings!
                  > It would be great if there were a few more reference photos of those-
                  > especially of the sleeve edges at the wrist...

                  You mean like this?

                  https://picasaweb.google.com/116806946441160246243/KyotoCostumeMuseum?authuser=0&feat=directlink<https://picasaweb.google.com/116806946441160246243/KyotoCostumeMuseum>

                • Renee Pitcock
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 29, 2012
                    Thank you for these photos.  They bring back a question I had some time ago when starting research into this time period.  The various sources and sites that I looked at tend to at least imply that the mo should be white, yet I saw at least two examples in your photos of mo that were other colors.  Can anyone else shed some light on this issue for me?  Are there special circumstances under which the mo was allowed to be another color, or were the implications I read based on more limited evidence?

                    ~Morina O'Donovan

                    ________________________________
                    > If I could put in a pleading request... Go to The Costume Museum, and
                    > takes lots of photos. There are some detailed reproductions of kasane
                    > there- I've seen a few of them on Flickr- and they even did the linings!
                    > It would be great if there were a few more reference photos of those-
                    > especially of the sleeve edges at the wrist...

                    You mean like this?

                    https://picasaweb.google.com/116806946441160246243/KyotoCostumeMuseum?authuser=0&feat=directlink<https://picasaweb.google.com/116806946441160246243/KyotoCostumeMuseum>

                  • JL Badgley
                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 29, 2012
                      On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 10:04 PM, tsukime_medb <heidilyn999@...> wrote:
                      > Hi All,
                      >
                      > I am soon to make a trip to Japan for a conference. I was hoping to get some good advice on must-see places of historical interest. My time is limited, but I hope to indulge in my love of research. I will have 1 free day in Tokyo and a few days in Kyoto. I am also going to Nara, but I think the deer and the temple will take up the day I have there.
                      >
                      > In Kyoto I plan to visit the costume museum and any art museums I can get to. My main artistic endeavors are gardening and bonsai, so I will be visiting nurseries and gardens as much as I can. Please let me know if you have other ideas!
                      >
                      > Also, if there are any pictures or bits of information I can get for anyone on the list, please let me know!

                      Here are some pictures. Here is my set for the Costume Museum:
                      http://www.flickr.com/photos/tatsushu/sets/72157600771310022/

                      Here are all the other Japan pics:
                      http://www.flickr.com/photos/tatsushu/collections/72157600752396872/

                      If you have questions on a specific picture I can attempt to explain, if I know.

                      -Ii
                    • tsukime_medb
                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 29, 2012
                        Wow, everybody, thanks for the responses!

                        I'll definitely take them into account when planning. The National museum has definitely gone on my must-do list.

                        I'm happy to try to get some of the requested pictures - I'll try to check out cemeteries and see what I can find. Also, if anyone has any suggestions about where extant period texitiles/clothing items are housed, I might be able to make a request to the museums to see them.

                        One question for Ii-dono and any others who have visited the costume museum - is it focused on Heien era clothing? Their website has later period clothes, but I did not see any in my (extremely quick) look at your pictures.

                        Arigato!
                        Tsukime

                        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, JL Badgley <tatsushu@...> wrote:

                        > On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 10:04 PM, tsukime_medb <heidilyn999@...> wrote:
                        > > Hi All,
                        > >
                        > > I am soon to make a trip to Japan for a conference. I was hoping to get some good advice on must-see places of historical interest. My time is limited, but I hope to indulge in my love of research. I will have 1 free day in Tokyo and a few days in Kyoto. I am also going to Nara, but I think the deer and the temple will take up the day I have there.
                        > >
                        > > In Kyoto I plan to visit the costume museum and any art museums I can get to. My main artistic endeavors are gardening and bonsai, so I will be visiting nurseries and gardens as much as I can. Please let me know if you have other ideas!
                        > >
                        > > Also, if there are any pictures or bits of information I can get for anyone on the list, please let me know!
                        > >
                        > Here are some pictures. Here is my set for the Costume Museum:
                        > http://www.flickr.com/photos/tatsushu/sets/72157600771310022/
                        >
                        > Here are all the other Japan pics:
                        > http://www.flickr.com/photos/tatsushu/collections/72157600752396872/
                        >
                        > If you have questions on a specific picture I can attempt to explain, if I know.
                        >

                        > -Ii

                      • JL Badgley
                        Message 11 of 17 , Feb 29, 2012
                          On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 10:39 PM, tsukime_medb <heidilyn999@...> wrote:

                          > One question for Ii-dono and any others who have visited the costume museum - is it focused on Heien era clothing? Their website has later period clothes, but I did not see any in my (extremely quick) look at your pictures.

                          The display is very much focused on the Tale of Genji. I don't recall
                          there being any other eras represented.

                          -Ii
                        • sekinakagawa@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 17 , Feb 29, 2012
                            Check with the local sites on the Internet, my friend says that they are
                            still recovering from last years damage.

                            Humbly,
                            Sukeie

                            To ask a question may be a moments' shame,
                            But not to ask and remain ignorant, is a life long shame.

                            Message 13 of 17 , Feb 29, 2012

                              > Check with the local sites on the Internet, my friend says that they are
                              > still recovering from last years damage.

                              You should be OK with Tokyo and points West as the damage was in the Tohoku region.

                            • ErinK
                              Message 14 of 17 , Mar 1, 2012
                                We got scolded for walking though a (modern) cemetery in Tokyo. Which I think was an overreaction by one lady (plenty of others passing through had nodded politely to us) but still something to consider. Also I find it unlikely such photos would be useful - they are not always (or typically?) dated and finding a way to translate them might be very difficult.

                                ERIN