Re: Hat help?

  • LJonthebay
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 20, 2012
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "cookie" <cookiegoddess42@...> wrote:

      > I have posted a pic of my Knight, Sir Maikeru, wearing a hat that I believe is similar to what is depicted in the artwork. It is in the photos section under House Sakura. I hope this helps. Let me know if you'd like more info on it.

      I feel certain that the women in the Maple Viewers are wearing some sort of head wrap. (Of course, this particular styles ISN'T in my book on hair and headwear!!!)
      http://www.tnm.jp/uploads/r_collection/LL_C0042444.jpg

      The "tails" might be achieved by using a separate strip of cloth, which might or might not be sewn to a larger rectangle covering the hair. Experimentation in front of a mirror is definitely called for...

      Saionji Shonagon
      West Kingdom
    • Carey G
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 20, 2012
        I wanted to thank everyone for their comments so far on this one. I will try to see what more I can find. I think the worst part is that the example has a bit of damage on the two women who are apparently wearing the same head wear making it difficult to even guess at construction. I will share what I find if I find more. And of course I will happily welcome any more information that anyone else may find.
        Agnes

        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Carey G" <agnesvonh@...> wrote:

        > I am trying to interpret the head wear seen on the woman in red plaid in this painting http://www.emuseum.jp/detail/100150/000/000?mode=detail&d_lang=en&s_lang=en&class=1&title=&c_e=®ion=&era=¢ury=&cptype=&owner=&pos=25&num=3
        >
        > Does anyone know what it is called or where other examples might be found? I am not quite sure what to make of it from this one painting.
        >
        > Thanks
        > Agnes

      • Korinne Hamakawa
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 20, 2012
          **De-lurk mode**

          The central figures seem to be wearing this kind of wrapped headgear in
          Merrymaking under the Cherry Blossoms as well:
          http://www.emuseum.jp/detail/100159/000/000?mode=detail&d_lang=en&s_lang=en&class=1&title=&c_e=®ion=&era=¢ury=&cptype=&owner=&pos=25&num=6

          It looks like it is the same thing as what is worn by some ladies in Jidai
          Matsuri parades, like this photo:
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/mavroumati/1736829852/

          I too would love to know the proper term for it. Also, if it is one or
          more pieces of fabric. Hopes this helps a little.

          YIS,
          Maeda Kiku

          On 20 February 2012 15:13, Carey G <agnesvonh@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > I wanted to thank everyone for their comments so far on this one. I will
          > try to see what more I can find. I think the worst part is that the example
          > has a bit of damage on the two women who are apparently wearing the same
          > head wear making it difficult to even guess at construction. I will share
          > what I find if I find more. And of course I will happily welcome any more
          > information that anyone else may find.
          > Agnes
          >

          > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Carey G" <agnesvonh@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > I am trying to interpret the head wear seen on the woman in red plaid in
          > this painting
          > http://www.emuseum.jp/detail/100150/000/000?mode=detail&d_lang=en&s_lang=en&class=1&title=&c_e=®ion=&era=¢ury=&cptype=&owner=&pos=25&num=3
          > >
          > > Does anyone know what it is called or where other examples might be
          > found? I am not quite sure what to make of it from this one painting.
          > >
          > > Thanks
          > > Agnes

        • JL Badgley
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 20, 2012
            On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 7:51 PM, Korinne Hamakawa
            <email.korinne@...> wrote:
            > **De-lurk mode**
            >
            > The central figures seem to be wearing this kind of wrapped headgear in
            > Merrymaking under the Cherry Blossoms as well:
            > http://www.emuseum.jp/detail/100159/000/000?mode=detail&d_lang=en&s_lang=en&class=1&title=&c_e=®ion=&era=¢ury=&cptype=&owner=&pos=25&num=6
            >
            > It looks like it is the same thing as what is worn by some ladies in Jidai
            > Matsuri parades, like this photo:
            > http://www.flickr.com/photos/mavroumati/1736829852/

            I was almost thinking the same thing, though it isn't really a binan
            boshi because it doesn't have the "ears", and the hair is showing in a
            way that I don't quite see on the binan boshi.

            -Ii
          • Carey G
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 20, 2012
              Ok so while searching on something else entirely I stumbled across this thread http://www.immortalgeisha.com/ig_bb/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=14758 About half way down on the page someone posted a series of pictures apparently from this book http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/4879405728/ref=ox_ya_oh_product The images from the book to me look like they could perhaps be the same base object but tied differently. Additionally the images from the book make me think that if the ties were undone they might actually look almost exactly like the painting.

              Does anyone on the list have the referenced book or know the name for the head wrap presented in the pictures?

              Thanks
              Agnes

              --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, JL Badgley <tatsushu@...> wrote:

              > On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 7:51 PM, Korinne Hamakawa
              > <email.korinne@...> wrote:
              > > **De-lurk mode**
              > >
              > > The central figures seem to be wearing this kind of wrapped headgear in
              > > Merrymaking under the Cherry Blossoms as well:
              > > http://www.emuseum.jp/detail/100159/000/000?mode=detail&d_lang=en&s_lang=en&class=1&title=&c_e=®ion=&era=¢ury=&cptype=&owner=&pos=25&num=6
              > >
              > > It looks like it is the same thing as what is worn by some ladies in Jidai
              > > Matsuri parades, like this photo:
              > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/mavroumati/1736829852/
              > >
              > I was almost thinking the same thing, though it isn't really a binan
              > boshi because it doesn't have the "ears", and the hair is showing in a
              > way that I don't quite see on the binan boshi.
              >
              > -Ii

            • Jitoyama
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 21, 2012
                This does look like a simple cloth wrap. Taking an educated guess, the fabric is about 18 inches wide and length will vary. The Jidai Matsuri is a beautiful visual reference. I've gathered a few images that will hopefully help envision how it wraps around the head.

                These two links show close-ups of the Izumonookuni followers. You can see how the cloth wraps around the head, almost to the side and is then twisted and tucked to create the "ears". Instead of tucking the ends of the cloth, pulling the fabric all the way through will eliminate the "ears" effect.
                http://img.4travel.jp/img/tcs/t/pict/lrg/23/69/37/lrg_23693784.jpg?20111106215014
                http://www.flickriver.com/photos/mboogiedown/279380531/

                This image is of Katsura women. Looking at the back of her head you can see the opening of the cloth and how it wraps to the front. Slightly different, instead of wrapping towards the front, it's tied initially in the back before the left-over tails are fashioned on the forehead.
                http://pds.exblog.jp/pds/1/201006/22/20/a0037120_11493548.jpg

                Lastly is an image of musicians, wearing the same style wrap as the Izumonookuni followers but in plain white. The image is not as close-up but it does make it easier to see the similarity of this style wrap in comparison to the one in painting.
                http://img.4travel.jp/img/tcs/t/pict/lrg/23/69/85/lrg_23698587.jpg?20111106215014

                --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Carey G" <agnesvonh@...> wrote:

                > I am trying to interpret the head wear seen on the woman in red plaid in this painting http://www.emuseum.jp/detail/100150/000/000?mode=detail&d_lang=en&s_lang=en&class=1&title=&c_e=®ion=&era=¢ury=&cptype=&owner=&pos=25&num=3
                >
                > Does anyone know what it is called or where other examples might be found? I am not quite sure what to make of it from this one painting.
                >
                > Thanks
                > Agnes

              • ErinK
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 29, 2012
                  Finally got my paper on this hat (from this painting!) on our website.
                  http://www.yamakaminari.com/2012/02/26/the-maple-viewers-hat-2/
                  Share and enjoy!

                  ERIN

                  --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Carey G" <agnesvonh@...> wrote:

                  > I am trying to interpret the head wear seen on the woman in red plaid in this painting http://www.emuseum.jp/detail/100150/000/000?mode=detail&d_lang=en&s_lang=en&class=1&title=&c_e=®ion=&era=¢ury=&cptype=&owner=&pos=25&num=3
                  >
                  > Does anyone know what it is called or where other examples might be found? I am not quite sure what to make of it from this one painting.
                  >
                  > Thanks
                  > Agnes

                • Carey Gorla
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 29, 2012
                    I clicked the link which took me to a page that appears to link to a pdf but when I click that I get a 404 error. :(
                    Agnes

                    -- Sent from my Palm Pixi
                    On Feb 29, 2012 8:44 AM, ErinK <tupan4@...> wrote:

                    Finally got my paper on this hat (from this painting!) on our website.

                    http://www.yamakaminari.com/2012/02/26/the-maple-viewers-hat-2/

                    Share and enjoy!

                    ERIN

                    --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Carey G" <agnesvonh@...> wrote:

                    > I am trying to interpret the head wear seen on the woman in red plaid in this painting http://www.emuseum.jp/detail/100150/000/000?mode=detail&d_lang=en&s_lang=en&class=1&title=&c_e=&region=&era=&century=&cptype=&owner=&pos=25&num=3

                    > Does anyone know what it is called or where other examples might be found? I am not quite sure what to make of it from this one painting.

                    > Thanks

                    > Agnes

                  • Carey Gorla
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 29, 2012
                      I clicked on the link below and it took me to a page that had a link to a pdf. Unfortunately when I click on the link for the pdf I get a 404 file not found error. :(
                      Agnes (really looking forward to seeing the paper)

                      ________________________________
                      Finally got my paper on this hat (from this painting!) on our website.
                      http://www.yamakaminari.com/2012/02/26/the-maple-viewers-hat-2/
                      Share and enjoy!

                      ERIN

                      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Carey G" <agnesvonh@...> wrote:

                      > I am trying to interpret the head wear seen on the woman in red plaid in this painting http://www.emuseum.jp/detail/100150/000/000?mode=detail&d_lang=en&s_lang=en&class=1&title=&c_e=®ion=&era=¢ury=&cptype=&owner=&pos=25&num=3
                      >
                      > Does anyone know what it is called or where other examples might be found? I am not quite sure what to make of it from this one painting.
                      >
                      > Thanks
                      > Agnes

                    • LJonthebay
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 29, 2012
                        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Carey Gorla" <agnesvonh@...> wrote:

                        > I clicked the link which took me to a page that appears to link to a pdf but when I click that I get a 404 error. :(

                        CROSSPOSTED from Tousando: The correct URL for the PDF is
                        http://www.yamakaminari.com/docs/MapleViewersHat.pdf

                        Saionji Shonagon