Re: [SCA-JML] Reliable Name lists needed

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 19, 2012

      > With all respect to Solveig Throndardottir, I do not for one moment believe that all women had names like "little white flower" I am looking for sites that have female or gender nutral names that can be documented. Can anyone point me in more directions than the so far excelent links page has?
      >
      > Thank you for all your time and any help that you might have for me.

      I can point you at a book which is the best authority on Japanese women's names, but you need to read Japanese to use it. As for "little white flower", I do not believe that I ever said that. How about five year olds with "names" like "muddy legs" and "ugly old hag"? There is a diversity of names out there, but please do expect to do some digging.

      Tsunoda 1988 Tsunoda Bunei 角田文衛. Nippon Joseimei 日本女性名. Vol. 1-3. Kyôikusha, 1980-1988.

      Originally published as three volumes was republished as a single volume.

    • LJonthebay
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 19, 2012
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Amy" <clvergatten@...> wrote:

        > With all respect to Solveig Throndardottir, I do not for one moment believe that all women had names like "little white flower" I am looking for sites that have female or gender nutral names that can be documented. Can anyone point me in more directions than the so far excelent links page has?

        "Flower" is a perfectly good name. Even my barbarian friends can usually remember and correctly pronounce "Hana."

        That said, Solveig-sensei's book on names has all sorts of names and name elements in it (she said, pulling her copy out from under her desk), including "Wogusome" which dates from the Nara period, refers to feces and includes the notation "This kanji and the reading appearing in the example are definitely vulgar."

        Saionji no Hana
        West Kingdom

        http://potboilerpress.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=25