Shoso-in Repository Online

  • LJonthebay
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 26, 2012
      Looky what I found! [url]http://shosoin.kunaicho.go.jp/%5b/url]

      The Shoso-in repository has a website.

      I found it was best to have two tabs open on my browser, one running Japanese-to-English in Google Translate and one in the original Japanese. For some reason, when you click on the thumbnails in Google Translate, they won't open up and you get bounced to a page in Japanese.

      For anyone unfamiliar, the Shoso-in Repository is the storehouse of the Todaiji temple in Nara (now administered by the Imperial Household Ministry). In 756, Dowager Empress Komyo donated the late Emperor Shomu's belongings to the temple so that prayers might be said for him. There are well over eight thousand catalogued items in the collection.

      And on that note, I am going to stop geeking at textiles and maybe actually eat some dinner. It's only 9:11 PM!

      Saionji Shonagon
      West Kingdom
    • tupan4
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 23, 2013

        Just took at look at this for the first time after Saionji-sensei mentioned it again last week in the shibori discussion.

        I'm not finding any information about dates - can we assume that everything in there is 8th century? I'm not remembering my history very well.

        Also, in addition to Google Translate I use a browser plugin called Rikaikun to translate kanji in the browser - you select or hover over a character and it gives you a dictionary lookup with English translation. Super useful, especially if you know a little Japanese and just can't remember the kanji!

        ERIN

        Looky what I found! [url]http://shosoin.kunaicho.go.jp/[/url]

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 23, 2013

          I'm not finding any information about dates - can we assume that everything in there is 8th century? I'm not remembering my history very well.

          I'm pretty sure that the short answer is NO. Yes, there is some really ancient stuff in there, but the place is not a time capsule or an archeological find.

        • LJonthebay
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 23, 2013

            > Noble Cousin!
            >
            > Greetings from Solveig!
            >
            > > I'm not finding any information about dates - can we assume that everything in there is 8th century? I'm not remembering my history very well.
            >
            > I'm pretty sure that the short answer is NO. Yes, there is some really ancient stuff in there, but the place is not a time capsule or an archeological find.

            To elaborate, most of what is in the Shoso-in belonged to an 8th century emperor. They're still trying to catalogue it all - in 2010, they'd listed nearly 10,000 items.

            Some of the items are older, some of them are definitely items imported from other parts of Asia.

            Saionji no Hana