Extant Hitatare?

  • Carey G
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 21, 2012
      I know I know I'm full of many questions these days. I promise I'm working on a project that I hope to show off at Calontir's Kingdom A&S Tri-levels.

      Anyway does anyone know if there are any extant Hitatare or Hakama from period? If so are there images online? Or maybe does anyone have any pictures they would be willing to share? I have found examples of kasode and dobuku in the online museums. I would prefer 16th century examples but any examples from period will do.

      Thanks
      Agnes
    • JL Badgley
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 21, 2012
        On Sat, Jan 21, 2012 at 10:38 AM, Carey G <agnesvonh@...> wrote:
        > I know I know I'm full of many questions these days. I promise I'm working on a project that I hope to show off at Calontir's Kingdom A&S Tri-levels.
        >
        > Anyway does anyone know if there are any extant Hitatare or Hakama from period? If so are there images online? Or maybe does anyone have any pictures they would be willing to share? I have found examples of kasode and dobuku in the online museums. I would prefer 16th century examples but any examples from period will do.

        I know I've seen pictures of extant examples in books, but I don't
        have any pictures for you online. There is this 19th century example:

        http://www.flickr.com/photos/tatsushu/2538434155/in/set-72157600772093455/

        Hope that might help.

        -Ii
      • Kendal Lenton
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 21, 2012
          I found some good images, from a museum in japan. I will send the link when
          I get back to my computer today

        • Charles Dodge
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 21, 2012

            Agnes,

            Hi, it's Nakos from Dun Ard, I don't know the answer to your question but I an point you in a few other directions to widen your net.

            If you're on the Calon list, pop up there also and ask Karo, Matsu, Tosh, or Yama. As far as I know none of them are on this list but the first three have done extensive research on their Japanese garb. There maybe others there that can answer your question but I can't think of their names right now.

            And if you google the Tousando board you can look around as a guest or sign up and you can ask folks there as well as search their files.

            Nakos

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 21, 2012

              > I know I've seen pictures of extant examples in books, but I don't
              > have any pictures for you online. There is this 19th century example:

              Do you happen to know the titles of the books? I'm hoping for online resources so I don't have a stall out in a project I have been making good headway on but I do want to do things right so would be interested in potentially getting to look.

              Agnes
            • Andrew Trembley
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 21, 2012
                On 1/21/2012 7:38 AM, Carey G wrote:
                > Anyway does anyone know if there are any extant Hitatare or Hakama from period? If so are there images online? Or maybe does anyone have any pictures they would be willing to share? I have found examples of kasode and dobuku in the online museums. I would prefer 16th century examples but any examples from period will do.

                There are garments from period. A number of temples have collections of
                donated garments. The Shosoin Collection is the best known, and it's huge.

                The Kyoto Costume Museum doesn't display period garments, it displays
                reproductions. It's still good. They're excellent and painstakingly
                researched reproductions.
                http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/

                Kass McGann still has her bibliography online.
                http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/articles/japanese-articles/an-annotated-bibliography-of-japanese-costume-books.html

                If you have someone nearby who has Jidai Isho no Nuikata and
                translations/notes it's pretty much the go-to book.

                Kass has patterns for hitatare kamishimo, but they're a smidge
                problematic. The hakama pattern is where the most issues are. The crotch
                and "doorknob catchers" (side gaps) are shallow, and should be deeper.
                They're high on me, which isn't a surprise, but they're high on my
                husband too. The himo are a bit narrow. The wackiest thing is that the
                hakama "bodies" (legs) are patterned to cut on the fold, but the fold is
                across the leg, not down the leg (and this isn't made clear). There are
                reasons for this, but a marking explaining which side of a large cut is
                the waistband, and an explanation to open before cutting the crotch seam
                would have made things much more clear.

                Eff-sensei's patterns at
                http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/katchu/katchu.ch16.html are not as
                detailed, but his hakama pattern has better instructions on cutting the
                crotch seam and how far up to close the side seams. It can help you
                figure out the Reconstructing History patterns too.

                andy