Re: [SCA-JML] New Member from Caid

  • Kendal Lenton
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 10, 2012
      I'm thinking of the 5 bamboo leaves found in the minamorto kamon. Then a
      fan with an arrow feathers on either side above the leaves. I will post a
      picture on photo bucket later

    • JL Badgley
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 10, 2012
        On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 9:00 PM, Kendal Lenton <kendal.lenton@...> wrote:
        > I'm thinking of the 5 bamboo leaves found in the minamorto kamon. Then a
        > fan with an arrow feathers on either side above the leaves. I will post a
        > picture on photo bucket later

        So, the main problem that you may run into is the mixing of western
        and eastern design. I would need to see the picture, but it sounds
        too complex, first of all. You have three different items, which is a
        bit much for both European and Asian heraldry. In addition, the
        bamboo leaves are going to be a weirdness, and so is the fan, which is
        two more than they usually like. You can go with a Japanese mon, but
        it will need to conform to a known cultural pattern, which we can help
        with.

        I would recommend taking just one of the various motifs. Arrow
        fletchings are particularly popular, though a fan could also be used.
        The bamboo you see is actually a type of flower, if you are looking at
        the Minamoto. "Sasarindou" is the "Bamboo Rindou" (I'm not sure how
        to translate "rindou" other than "Gentiana scabra var. buergeri"),
        which you could probably use; I'm not sure how tied the "Minamoto"
        clan is to that particular mon, and most mon were used by more than
        one family. Furthermore, the Minamoto family is a large family with
        lots of members, so I don't know if it would be considered
        presumptuous or not, but I'd argue it isn't. You aren't actually
        claiming land or title.

        -Ii
      • Leanne Opaskar
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 10, 2012
          Hajimemashite, Minamoto-dono! Yoroshiku onegaishimasu. (:

          My husband and I are also in Caid (our home barony is Calafia). We'll be going to our first event next month -- the Queen's Champion archery tournament in the Barony of the Angels. (: Hope to meet you -- and anyone else on the list who is attending -- there! (:

          --Sō Haruko

          On Jan 10, 2012, at 6:00 PM, Kendal Lenton wrote:

          > I'm thinking of the 5 bamboo leaves found in the minamorto kamon. Then a
          > fan with an arrow feathers on either side above the leaves. I will post a
          > picture on photo bucket later

        • Ellen Badgley
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 10, 2012

            > "Minamoto" is an easy sell, and "Akiko" seems like it would be an easy
            > enough female name to document.
            >
            > What is the device you are considering?
            >
            > -Ii

            I don't have Solveig-hime's book in front of me, but "Akiko" is
            documentable to period, from what I remember-- and it is also commonly
            written with the same kanji as my name, "Akirakeiko" (which is a bit
            of a weird reading!)

            - Abe Akirakeiko
          • Kendal Lenton
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 11, 2012
              After reworking my device some, this is what I've come up with.

              It still has the Gomaisasa,or the 5 bamboo leaves that can be found in the
              Minamoto Clan crest, but switched the gentian flowers for a single iris
              flower. I'm still learning about the devices used in Japan, but am hoping
              that I can get something submitted sooner than later

              http://s1066.photobucket.com/albums/u417/Akiko_Minamoto/?action=view¤t=Irisflower.jpg