Re: Question on Sleeves

  • LJonthebay
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 10, 2012
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Carey G" <agnesvonh@...> wrote:
      > So I guess my question at this point is "Should 16th century kasode sleeves be significantly more narrow than the panels of the body? Are there times that this is correct and other times that it is not?" I would appreciate any thoughts anyone might have on the subject.

      Yes, though the width does appear to vary as one looks at surviving examples. (If you look at the thumbnails at the bottom of the kosode web page, you'll see it averages to a half panel, but you can see the variation fairly clearly.) This was likely done to adjust the size of the garment to the wearer. However, for someone who is brand new to constructing a garment (particularly WITHOUT a pattern), the math is a little easier if the sleeve and body panels use the same width.

      (As I have very long arms in proportion to my body size, I also find that I get a more flattering fit if my sleeve panels are the same width as the body panels.)

      Hope this helps a bit.

      Saionji no Hana
      West Kingdom
    • Carey Gorla
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 10, 2012
        Thanks I was thinking that in the case of making a hitatare it appears that the larger sleeve style does make sense but for everything else it appears to me that it was supposed to be smaller. Thank you for the information as I am trying to put together documentation to possibly enter my next set of garb into an A&S competition so that helps me make sense of things.
        Agnes

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 10, 2012
          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Carey Gorla <agnesvonh@...> wrote:

          > Thanks I was thinking that in the case of making a hitatare it appears that the larger sleeve style does make sense but for everything else it appears to me that it was supposed to be smaller. Thank you for the information as I am trying to put together documentation to possibly enter my next set of garb into an A&S competition so that helps me make sense of things.

          Experimenting with a mock-up in cheap muslin will give you an idea of fit.

          Saionji no Hana