New Member from Caid

  • minamoto_akiko
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 10, 2012
      I just wanted to say hi to everyone and I am so happy i was able to find this group! I am just getting ready to submit my name and device to the heralds, and advice from people?
    • JL Badgley
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 10, 2012
        On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 12:51 PM, minamoto_akiko
        <kendal.lenton@...> wrote:
        > I just wanted to say hi to everyone and I am so happy i was able to find this group! I am just getting ready to submit my name and device to the heralds, and advice from people?

        Greetings! SCA-JML e yokoso!

        We could certainly help--what name are you thinking of? I see that
        you have "Minamoto Akiko" in your e-mail, so I assume that is what you
        are considering?

        "Minamoto" is an easy sell, and "Akiko" seems like it would be an easy
        enough female name to document.

        What is the device you are considering?

        -Ii
      • Kendal Lenton
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 10, 2012
          I'm thinking of the 5 bamboo leaves found in the minamorto kamon. Then a
          fan with an arrow feathers on either side above the leaves. I will post a
          picture on photo bucket later

        • JL Badgley
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 10, 2012
            On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 9:00 PM, Kendal Lenton <kendal.lenton@...> wrote:
            > I'm thinking of the 5 bamboo leaves found in the minamorto kamon. Then a
            > fan with an arrow feathers on either side above the leaves. I will post a
            > picture on photo bucket later

            So, the main problem that you may run into is the mixing of western
            and eastern design. I would need to see the picture, but it sounds
            too complex, first of all. You have three different items, which is a
            bit much for both European and Asian heraldry. In addition, the
            bamboo leaves are going to be a weirdness, and so is the fan, which is
            two more than they usually like. You can go with a Japanese mon, but
            it will need to conform to a known cultural pattern, which we can help
            with.

            I would recommend taking just one of the various motifs. Arrow
            fletchings are particularly popular, though a fan could also be used.
            The bamboo you see is actually a type of flower, if you are looking at
            the Minamoto. "Sasarindou" is the "Bamboo Rindou" (I'm not sure how
            to translate "rindou" other than "Gentiana scabra var. buergeri"),
            which you could probably use; I'm not sure how tied the "Minamoto"
            clan is to that particular mon, and most mon were used by more than
            one family. Furthermore, the Minamoto family is a large family with
            lots of members, so I don't know if it would be considered
            presumptuous or not, but I'd argue it isn't. You aren't actually
            claiming land or title.

            -Ii
          • Leanne Opaskar
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 10, 2012
              Hajimemashite, Minamoto-dono! Yoroshiku onegaishimasu. (:

              My husband and I are also in Caid (our home barony is Calafia). We'll be going to our first event next month -- the Queen's Champion archery tournament in the Barony of the Angels. (: Hope to meet you -- and anyone else on the list who is attending -- there! (:

              --Sō Haruko

              On Jan 10, 2012, at 6:00 PM, Kendal Lenton wrote:

              > I'm thinking of the 5 bamboo leaves found in the minamorto kamon. Then a
              > fan with an arrow feathers on either side above the leaves. I will post a
              > picture on photo bucket later

            • Ellen Badgley
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 10, 2012

                > "Minamoto" is an easy sell, and "Akiko" seems like it would be an easy
                > enough female name to document.
                >
                > What is the device you are considering?
                >
                > -Ii

                I don't have Solveig-hime's book in front of me, but "Akiko" is
                documentable to period, from what I remember-- and it is also commonly
                written with the same kanji as my name, "Akirakeiko" (which is a bit
                of a weird reading!)

                - Abe Akirakeiko
              • Kendal Lenton
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 11, 2012
                  After reworking my device some, this is what I've come up with.

                  It still has the Gomaisasa,or the 5 bamboo leaves that can be found in the
                  Minamoto Clan crest, but switched the gentian flowers for a single iris
                  flower. I'm still learning about the devices used in Japan, but am hoping
                  that I can get something submitted sooner than later

                  http://s1066.photobucket.com/albums/u417/Akiko_Minamoto/?action=view¤t=Irisflower.jpg