Re: [SCA-JML] Book Review: The Art of Japanese Brush Painting

  • Lillian Dardar
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 8, 2012
      Thank you so much for sharing this! I shall have to find a copy. My daughter is Japanese personna and likes to draw and paint...maybe this will be something we can both get into! :)
      Congratulations to our newest Laurel!

      Johanna M

      Author: Takahiko Mikami & Jack McDowell
      Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Art-Japanese-Brush-Painting/dp/B000HULPF2/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1326072253&sr=1-2

      Review: This is the ideal book for someone wanting to get into Japanese brush painting, tools used, papers used, and even scroll making. The book is packed full of period info that is easy and not over whelming. Most importantly this book has an impressive 'how to' section that shows you the techniques to produce various looks. Subjects include: grains, leaves, birds, castles, evergreens, flowers, and more. There are many cool tips and tricks in this book on things like how to unwrinkle a rise paper painting, hand positioning for brush holding, mounting info, and more.

      If you want to get your local scroll maker a really cool gift..this is def the book to get them!

      Photos from the book: http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/2357/img4908800x533.jpg
      http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/6568/img4907800x533.jpg
      http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/8858/img4906800x533.jpg
      http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/7439/img4905533x800.jpg
    • Jeanel Walker
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 9, 2012
        I own this book and love it love it love it, I paid 10 cents for it at our local library they were cutting down on there inventory and when some books dont get checked out often enough they sell them. You might want to take a look there you never know what treasure you will find. I know it has helped me trimindious with my sumi brush strokes.

        Jeanel Walker aka Iolii or Takaatsu
        My Facebook Link =)My Deviant Art Page Link