Japanese stuff at Pennsic

  • OgamiAkira@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 28, 2000
      I would be interested in supporting a Japanese tourney at Pennsic.
      If folks would like, I could even have my Clan (Yama Kaminari)
      sponsor the event and provide stage dressing, taiko drummers (weather
      permitting), windscreens, and whatever else would make it look good
      and run smoothly.
      Might I suggest as well that it go a bit beyond a simple tourney?
      How about a kyudo (or at least yumi) competition, and perhaps even a
      contest (in the tradition of Yoshitsune's retainer Benkei) to see who
      can deflect the most combat arrows?
    • Rick (Miyamoto K)
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 29, 2000
        You are making my mouth water, my head twitch, my foot tap and my heart leap
        about my chest. Tell me we will do this. I was planning to go to Pennsic for
        the first time this year.

        In service to the Son of Heaven,
        Griffin's Moon, and Hawkwood,

        Ki (until I can find a name that will pass the heralds!)

        >From: OgamiAkira@...
        >To: sca-jml@egroups.com
        >Subject: [SCA-JML] Japanese stuff at Pennsic
        >Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 23:57:58 -0000
        >
        >I would be interested in supporting a Japanese tourney at Pennsic.
        >If folks would like, I could even have my Clan (Yama Kaminari)
        >sponsor the event and provide stage dressing, taiko drummers (weather
        >permitting), windscreens, and whatever else would make it look good
        >and run smoothly.
        >Might I suggest as well that it go a bit beyond a simple tourney?
        >How about a kyudo (or at least yumi) competition, and perhaps even a
        >contest (in the tradition of Yoshitsune's retainer Benkei) to see who
        >can deflect the most combat arrows?

      • Joshua Badgley
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 29, 2000
          On Fri, 29 Dec 2000, Rick (Miyamoto K) wrote:

          > You are making my mouth water, my head twitch, my foot tap and my heart leap
          > about my chest. Tell me we will do this. I was planning to go to Pennsic for
          > the first time this year.

          I WILL be going to Pennsic this year for the first time. I'm not sure HOW
          just yet, only that I am going to work my butt off through school, and
          I'll make it even if I don't yet have the job I want.

          So, with talk about going to Pennsic this year I was just wondering who
          all was planning to go. I know there was talk about a Japanese campsite
          and I would love to partake if possible; unfortunately I don't have a
          period tent at all (although the one I have now IS small enough to fit
          behind a good sized screen). As it is right now I don't have a group and
          am looking for one if possible. The only other option for me is my
          household, House Oschast (an eclectic bunch), of which one other member
          will be present.

          Also, I will probably be leaving from California to get there. If anyone
          else is headed out from CA I would love to get in touch with them.

          So, would it be useful to have a list somewhere of who's planning on
          attending? That might make planning things a little easier, although
          maybe this is too soon.

          -Ii Saburou
        • wcbooth@hotmail.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 29, 2000
            > > You are making my mouth water, my head twitch, my foot tap and my
            heart leap
            > > about my chest. Tell me we will do this. I was planning to go to
            Pennsic for
            > > the first time this year.
            no kidding, i think that happens alot when you mention Pennsic ;)

            (snip)
            > So, with talk about going to Pennsic this year I was just wondering
            who
            > all was planning to go. I know there was talk about a Japanese
            campsite
            > and I would love to partake if possible; unfortunately I don't have
            > period tent at all (although the one I have now IS small enough to
            fit
            > behind a good sized screen). As it is right now I don't have a
            group and
            > am looking for one if possible. The only other option for me is my
            > household, House Oschast (an eclectic bunch), of which one other
            member
            > will be present.
            >
            > Also, I will probably be leaving from California to get there. If
            anyone
            > else is headed out from CA I would love to get in touch with them.
            >
            > So, would it be useful to have a list somewhere of who's planning on
            > attending? That might make planning things a little easier,
            although
            > maybe this is too soon.
            >

            > -Ii Saburou

            Well folks, looks like this ties in with the website yet again....

            i have been toying with another idea, of a Ride/camping board for the
            SCA. but, i think for now, let's K.I.S.S and just make it for our
            little group? please, let me know..

            B.T.W, Ii? i've heard of people who Plan their next pennsic trips,
            while they're AT pennsic...or right after... anyhow, i like the idea
            and it will be up on the site... more to follow...

            Nobu.
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 29, 2000
              Joshua Badgley wrote:

              > On Fri, 29 Dec 2000, Rick (Miyamoto K) wrote:
              >
              > > You are making my mouth water, my head twitch, my foot tap and my heart leap
              > > about my chest. Tell me we will do this. I was planning to go to Pennsic for
              > > the first time this year.
              > >
              > I WILL be going to Pennsic this year for the first time. I'm not sure HOW
              > just yet, only that I am going to work my butt off through school, and
              > I'll make it even if I don't yet have the job I want.

              Great! We'll be looking forward to seeing you!

              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 2, 2001
                OgamiAkira@... wrote:

                > I would be interested in supporting a Japanese tourney at Pennsic.
                > If folks would like, I could even have my Clan (Yama Kaminari)
                > sponsor the event and provide stage dressing, taiko drummers (weather
                > permitting), windscreens, and whatever else would make it look good
                > and run smoothly.

                Spiff!!

                I'd appreciate the help and support with this one. I'm planning on having a
                little favor-like-prezzie for all the participants in the tourney as well
                as a general prize thingie.

                > Might I suggest as well that it go a bit beyond a simple tourney?
                > How about a kyudo (or at least yumi) competition, and perhaps even a
                > contest (in the tradition of Yoshitsune's retainer Benkei) to see who
                > can deflect the most combat arrows?

                How could we tell if they miss? I think we should use real arrows for this
                one, since they'd stick and we could tell. <G>

                Effingham
              • GrimShieldsson
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 2, 2001
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 2, 2001
                    Howdy, folks.
                    I'm beginning to ask some people in Yama Kaminari about when would be
                    a good day for this Japanese shindig and what they would like to have
                    go on. This is going to be a terrific amount of work, and I don't
                    want it all to fall on the heads (and backs) of my squires. So far
                    I've just thrown out some ideas (like a poetry competition and a sumo
                    match) and I'm waiting to see what I get back. Koredono, my senior
                    squire, has pointed out that the earlier we hold it, the less likely
                    we are to conflict with something major. As he pointed out, war week
                    itself is essentially a write-off. The 'middle Saturday' is probably
                    the best we're going to do.

                    And, no, I'm not very formal, am I?
                  • michael A
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 3, 2001
                      As before when effingham-dono mentioned the idea of a
                      tourney, Id be glad to assist in any way possible
                      getting such an auspicious event going at war.

                      I definately agree that if we all come together and
                      help, we can save those poor squires backs. :)

                      -Kiyohara

                      --- OgamiAkira@... wrote:
                      > Howdy, folks.
                      > I'm beginning to ask some people in Yama Kaminari
                      > about when would be
                      > a good day for this Japanese shindig and what they
                      > would like to have
                      > go on. This is going to be a terrific amount of
                      > work, and I don't
                      > want it all to fall on the heads (and backs) of my
                      > squires. So far
                      > I've just thrown out some ideas (like a poetry
                      > competition and a sumo
                      > match) and I'm waiting to see what I get back.
                      > Koredono, my senior
                      > squire, has pointed out that the earlier we hold it,
                      > the less likely
                      > we are to conflict with something major. As he
                      > pointed out, war week
                      > itself is essentially a write-off. The 'middle
                      > Saturday' is probably
                      > the best we're going to do.
                      >
                      > And, no, I'm not very formal, am I?

                      http://photos.yahoo.com/
                    • Joshua Badgley
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 3, 2001
                        On Wed, 3 Jan 2001, michael A wrote:

                        > I definately agree that if we all come together and
                        > help, we can save those poor squires backs. :)

                        I would love to help out at the event, but it requires at least one other
                        thing for some of us: when do we need to get there? I notice that people
                        can show up early, but just how early are we supposed to get there? This
                        is rather important for me; Jamboree-like situations are no problem, but I
                        do need to know when I need to be there. Just let me know and I'll put it
                        on the calendar!

                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 4, 2001
                          OgamiAkira@... wrote:

                          > Howdy, folks.
                          > I'm beginning to ask some people in Yama Kaminari about when would be
                          > a good day for this Japanese shindig and what they would like to have
                          > go on. This is going to be a terrific amount of work, and I don't
                          > want it all to fall on the heads (and backs) of my squires. So far
                          > I've just thrown out some ideas (like a poetry competition and a sumo
                          > match) and I'm waiting to see what I get back. Koredono, my senior
                          > squire, has pointed out that the earlier we hold it, the less likely
                          > we are to conflict with something major. As he pointed out, war week
                          > itself is essentially a write-off. The 'middle Saturday' is probably
                          > the best we're going to do.

                          That would probably work. I'd suggest Sunday, though, if possible, to
                          allow the folks who can only do one week at war to get in and get set
                          up. Does this sound logical, or a baseless concern? I dunno.

                          > And, no, I'm not very formal, am I?

                          There's stuffy and there's stuffy. And then there's laid back. <wink>