Re: [SCA-JML] Sumi-e and seals was introduction

    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 12, 2011

      > additional resources based off of what you are posting. Thank you all. So
      > where is everyone located on this list? It'd be nice to get together with
      > some people face to face to talk about this stuff instead of just writing.

      I'm in central New York. I taught an introductory calligraphy class and an introductory inkan carving class at Pennsic last Summer.

    • James Eckman
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 13, 2011
        > Posted by: "Solveig Throndardottir"
        >
        > Noble Cousin!
        >
        > Greetings from Solveig! Here is the ISBN: 4544011213 for a Japanese introduction to seal carving.
        Neat list, prices are quite reasonable if you can avoid shipping.
        <Snip>

        You will probably have to order these from Japan Amazon or a Japanese
        bookstore in the US if you live near one. The bookstore option is a good
        one for those not in a hurry and who want to save on shipping. My last
        trip to Japan was before I started seal carving and calligraphy so I
        instead have picked up the Chinese dictionaries on my trips to China.

        Jim
      • LJonthebay
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 13, 2011
          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Melissa Harris <mdeann@...> wrote:
          > So where is everyone located on this list? It'd be nice to get together with
          > some people face to face to talk about this stuff instead of just writing.

          As indicated previously, I'm in the West Kingdom, specifically the San Francisco Bay Area, as is Jim Eckman.

          One of the best ways to familiarize oneself with a particular art genre is to look at a lot of it. I think you're going to find that sumi-e is not limited to the Momoyama period, having a very long tradition that dates back to Japan's first contact with China. There's even a style of illustration called hakubyo ("white pictures") that was used in narrative picture-scrolls or emaki, and in portraiture.

          Be sure to go to groups.yahoo.com/group/sca-jml and check out the Links and Files sections. You may find more information (including museum links) there.

          Cheers,
          Saionji no Hana
          West Kingdom
        • ErinK
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 14, 2011
            I am in Pittsburgh, as are several fellow enthusiasts from my clan, but most of my Japanese-scroll-painting friends are based in western New York (some of them are pretty awesome). (Go Aethelmearc!)

            You're pretty close to Pennsic, so if you make it there you'll find quite a few of us from various areas!

            ERIN

            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Melissa Harris <mdeann@...> wrote:

            > So
            > where is everyone located on this list? It'd be nice to get together with
            > some people face to face to talk about this stuff instead of just writing.
            < >