Sumi-e and seals was introduction

  • James Eckman
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 12, 2011
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 12, 2011

        Greetings from Solveig! Here is the ISBN: 4544011213 for a Japanese introduction to seal carving. It is highly illustrated. Signature seals are generally such things as names other seals might have offices. The main thing though is that the letter forms follow the ancient Chinese forms used for carving monuments which predate the forms used for writing with brushes on paper. There are specialized dictionaries which have these letter forms in them. They also sometimes show up in kanwajiten (Japanese kanji dictioinaries) where they illustrate the evolution of a particular character. I have several of these dictionaries. Regardless, this should be a specialized seal carving dictionary ISBN: 4544012090 I am not sure because I didn't go into the other room to physically look at the book. Here is the ISBN for a calligraphy dictionary ISBN: 4040203003 and here is another interesting dictionary ISBN: 9784880980010

      • Melissa Harris
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 12, 2011
          WOW so much information to go through! If you have more, please keep it
          coming. I'm compiling stuff as you all send it out. And finding
          additional resources based off of what you are posting. Thank you all. So
          where is everyone located on this list? It'd be nice to get together with
          some people face to face to talk about this stuff instead of just writing.

          While I'm not personally interested in having a SCA Japanese persona, I
          love the Ink Painting and wish to focus on them and all aspects in that
          field. In general I love learning about other cultures and history, so
          regardless if I am interested in a Japanese persona of my own, I still find
          everything about it fascinating.

          I'm in the Midrealm (I'm specifically located in Northwestern Ohio)

          In Service
          Lady Artemisia Voltera

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 12, 2011

            > additional resources based off of what you are posting. Thank you all. So
            > where is everyone located on this list? It'd be nice to get together with
            > some people face to face to talk about this stuff instead of just writing.

            I'm in central New York. I taught an introductory calligraphy class and an introductory inkan carving class at Pennsic last Summer.

          • James Eckman
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 13, 2011
              > Posted by: "Solveig Throndardottir"
              >
              > Noble Cousin!
              >
              > Greetings from Solveig! Here is the ISBN: 4544011213 for a Japanese introduction to seal carving.
              Neat list, prices are quite reasonable if you can avoid shipping.
              <Snip>

              You will probably have to order these from Japan Amazon or a Japanese
              bookstore in the US if you live near one. The bookstore option is a good
              one for those not in a hurry and who want to save on shipping. My last
              trip to Japan was before I started seal carving and calligraphy so I
              instead have picked up the Chinese dictionaries on my trips to China.

              Jim
            • LJonthebay
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 13, 2011
                --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Melissa Harris <mdeann@...> wrote:
                > So where is everyone located on this list? It'd be nice to get together with
                > some people face to face to talk about this stuff instead of just writing.

                As indicated previously, I'm in the West Kingdom, specifically the San Francisco Bay Area, as is Jim Eckman.

                One of the best ways to familiarize oneself with a particular art genre is to look at a lot of it. I think you're going to find that sumi-e is not limited to the Momoyama period, having a very long tradition that dates back to Japan's first contact with China. There's even a style of illustration called hakubyo ("white pictures") that was used in narrative picture-scrolls or emaki, and in portraiture.

                Be sure to go to groups.yahoo.com/group/sca-jml and check out the Links and Files sections. You may find more information (including museum links) there.

                Cheers,
                Saionji no Hana
                West Kingdom
              • ErinK
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 14, 2011
                  I am in Pittsburgh, as are several fellow enthusiasts from my clan, but most of my Japanese-scroll-painting friends are based in western New York (some of them are pretty awesome). (Go Aethelmearc!)

                  You're pretty close to Pennsic, so if you make it there you'll find quite a few of us from various areas!

                  ERIN

                  --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Melissa Harris <mdeann@...> wrote:

                  > So
                  > where is everyone located on this list? It'd be nice to get together with
                  > some people face to face to talk about this stuff instead of just writing.
                  < >