Sengoku Era Wedding Attire

  • Carey G
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 3, 2011
      Greetings
      In the not too distant future my now fiance and I shall be getting married. He has expressed a desire for a Shinto wedding which we are starting to look into. I however have no desire to get married in a modern dress, Japanese or American. So I would like to make our clothes to be useable in SCA circles. His persona is from the Sengoku era, early 16th century, and I would like to find out as much as possible about sources of information on weddings in this time period.

      While I am guessing that I will be making myself a slightly altered version of a modern uchikake from what I have seen online so far, I am happy that I won't need to do outrageous things to my hair. I am curious about what colors would be appropriate and how many layers would be expected for a woman marrying a samurai. Also I will be outfitting my maid of honor and I would be curious to see what types of changes I should make in her clothes vs mine.

      As for my fiance my best guess right now is that he would wear a hitatare but I could be wrong on that. And again I would like to see if there is any information available as to appropriate colors. From everything I have seen in modern Shinto weddings the groom seems to usually wear mostly black.

      A few other items I would like input on are patterns and fabrics. To date I have only worked in cottons, linens and once in wool I have no experience with silk and I definitely do want to do these outfits in silk. On this page http://www.wodefordhall.com/kosode.htm, which is what I also use for all my kasode patterns, I see that the author suggests habatoi, taffeta or fuji broadcloth I am wondering if I should be looking at particular weights of fabric as well as at those types or if other types would be better. I am currently looking at ordering from either http://www.silkconnection.com/products/silk.php, http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/1665272-AA.shtml or http://www.silkbaron.com/silk/ but I would take any other recommendations.

      To date I have been using the kosode pattern linked above, this hakama pattern http://www.yamakaminari.com/HowTo/RoxannesGarb/RoxanneHakama4Pennsic.pdf and this hitatare pattern http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/katchu/graphics/patterns/hitatare.PDF?42,8 I would be interested in knowing if these are good patterns for me to use for this specific era or if there are other sources I should be referencing.

      I am not only interested in finding out the answers to these questions but I am also interested in seeing any sources that contain these answers, as I do like to at least personally know the documentation for my garb even if I am not presenting it as a competition piece. If the answers simply aren't available I appreciate that you have at least taken time to review my request.

      Thank you
      Lady Agnes von Heidelberg
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 3, 2011

        Greetings from Solveig! I believe that about all you have to do is dress formally for the time period which interests you most. As for color combinations, either pick one for the specific season or for more general wear afterwards you might want to pick one of the all season color combinations. Many of the expected US customs for what to wear to weddings appear to have their roots in the 19th century. So, pick colors that will go well for you and expect to have fun.

      • Ishiyama Gen'tarou Yori'ie
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 4, 2011
          My Lady von Heidelberg;

          You wrote:
          > In the not too distant future my now fiance and I shall be getting
          > married. He has expressed a desire for a Shinto wedding which we
          > are starting to look into.

          Recently, while researching a piece of furniture, I found a couple
          of web sites that specialize in traditional Shinto accoutrements.
          I don't understand Japanese, but the impression I got was that most
          of their customers were those planning weddings.

          http://www.minzoku.co.jp/

          http://www.ise-miyachu.co.jp/

          I'm not suggesting you buy anything from those sites, but the pictures
          will give you a good idea what clothing is traditional. In my opinion,
          the designs of most of the men's formal garments don't appear to have
          changed much since the Heian period, so many of them are acceptable
          for SCA use.

          The pattern sites you cited are generally considered to be good
          references. In addition to the "katchu" section of SengokuDaimyo.com,
          don't miss the garb section -

          http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/garb/garb.html

          --
          The Hon. Lord Ishiyama Gen'tarou Yori'ie
          (mka: Elliott C. "Eeyore" Evans)