A lunar cycle of poems project - night 24

  • art_fetish
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 16, 2011
      Tonight's poem/waka is based on a song sung in the Tale of Genji. So first we need to look at the song before we can read the poem.

      "I can make love with you. But after now, can we meet like we did tonight? I want to go with you into the world of dreams. In dream, everything is dream." - Genji, about his love affair with Lady Fujitsub.

      "Mitemo Mata
      Ōyomarenaru
      Yume no Uchi ni
      Yagate Magiruru
      Wagami Tomogana "- Japanese Version of Genji's song.

      "The cherry blossoms will fall in a few days. I dreamed they are falling in the night.
      But I thought it was pure dreaming. The next morning I saw the mountain. I found
      the top of mountain being white. The white that I found was not flowers but clouds.
      O! It was not just a dream" - Shōtetsu, 1381-1459ad ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shotetsu)

      "Sakeba Chiru
      Yonoma no Hana no
      Yume no Uchi ni
      Yagate Magirenu
      Mine no Shirakumo" -Japanese version

      Through the project I have made reference to a number of the Immortal Poets. I highly recommend reading up a bit on the Immortal Poets, as their poetry has played key roles and had great influence on Japanese Society. You can read a bit on them at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thirty-six_Poetry_Immortals