A lunar cycle of poems project - night 19

  • art_fetish
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 3, 2011
      ~~~Night 19 ( http://stardate.org/nightsky/moon ) ~~~
      Sen no Rikyū (1522-1591ad), who in 1579 became the tea master for Oda Nobunaga. He has a quote I rather like that can still be applied to people today: "People like expensive utensils because their minds run to covetousness and avarice. A chipped earthenware mortar, if suited to the occasion, is entirely in harmony with the Tea spirit." The following poem written by him only further reinforces the core concepts of wabi and sabi in period tea ceremony.

      "If you have one pot
      And can make your tea in it
      That will do quite well.
      How much does he lack himself
      Who must have a lot of things.

      If you have no pot
      Take a saucepan and in that
      Boil your hot water.
      Even so your tea may be
      Quite the best in Japan.

      Though I tell you this
      Do not go and hide away
      Things you now possess.
      To pretend you have them not
      Is affected elegance.

      Ho who hesitates
      Saying that he has no flowers
      Let him go and see
      The spring herbage that 'mid snow
      Shows upon the mountain side." - Rikyu

      More: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sen_no_Riky%C5%AB

      Source: Cha-No-Yu The Japanese Tea Ceremony, By A.L. Sadler
    • mkolkie
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 4, 2011
        I thank you for posting these... please keep going
      • Jeanel Walker
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 4, 2011
          I too enjoy them. please dont quit =)

          Jeanel Walker aka Iolii or Takaatsu
          My Facebook Link =)My Deviant Art Page Link

          ________________________________
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 5, 2011
            ~~~Night 20 ( http://stardate.org/nightsky/moon ) ~~~

            "Beneath the blossoms,
            The view is so lovely
            We forget to return home.
            Alongside a cask of wine,
            Drinking more and more
            A spring breeze rises up." - Yamabe no Akahito, one of the 36 Immortal Poets. His work was cited and recounted through the ages. A famous Momoyama period scroll featuring this poem was written by the famous calligrapher Shokado Shojo (1584-1639).

            Source: Japan's golden Age, Momoyama (http://www.amazon.com/Japans-Golden-Age-Momoyama-Publications/dp/0300068972 )

            PS - glad to know that you guys are enjoying these. Feedback is always welcome. If you have any specific requests or themes, please let me know. Only 8 more poems to go before I am done.
          • art_fetish
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 6, 2011
              ~~~Night 21 ( http://stardate.org/nightsky/moon ) ~~~

              "Setting out for my lover's house
              Carried by thoughts of love
              This winter's night
              I feel the cold river breeze
              As plovers cry." -Unknown, featured on a Momoyama period calligraphy scroll by Shokado Shojo

              "Omoikane
              Imogari yukeba
              Fuyu no yo no
              Kawakaze samumi
              Chidori nake nari" - Japanese version of the poem

              Plovers are associated with winter, and the loneliness that love can bring.

              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 8, 2011
                I wish i had started saving them when you first started i would have almost a book by now to take with me on long journeys through out the known world, but I didnt think of it sooner. pout.

                Jeanel Walker aka Iolii or Takaatsu
                My Facebook Link =)My Deviant Art Page Link

                ________________________________
                A spring breeze rises up." - Yamabe no Akahito, one of the 36 Immortal Poets. His work was cited and recounted through the ages. A famous Momoyama period scroll featuring this poem was written by the famous calligrapher Shokado Shojo (1584-1639).

                Source: Japan's golden Age, Momoyama (http://www.amazon.com/Japans-Golden-Age-Momoyama-Publications/dp/0300068972 )

                PS - glad to know that you guys are enjoying these. Feedback is always welcome. If you have any specific requests or themes, please let me know. Only 8 more poems to go before I am done.

              • Jennifer Kobayashi
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 8, 2011
                  >I wish i had started saving them when you first started...

                  Fortunately for us all, they are automatically saved in the sca-jml list archives:

                  -Ki no Izumi
                • Jeanel Walker
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 8, 2011
                    awesome!!! sugoi!!!!! domo artigato !!!! now onward to archives =)

                    Jeanel Walker aka Iolii or Takaatsu
                    My Facebook Link =)My Deviant Art Page Link

                    >I wish i had started saving them when you first started...

                    Fortunately for us all, they are automatically saved in the sca-jml list archives:

                    -Ki no Izumi

                  • LJonthebay
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 8, 2011
                      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Jeanel Walker <brytephyre@...> wrote:

                      > I wish i had started saving them when you first started i would have almost a book by now to take with me on long journeys through out the known world, but I didnt think of it sooner. pout.

                      Support your local bookseller!

                      Saionji no Hana, sometime poet, avid reader