Book Review: The Secrets of Noh Masks

  • art_fetish
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2011
      Title: The Secrets of Noh Masks
      Author: Michishige Udaka
      Year Published: 2010
      ISBN: 978-4-7700-3095-5
      Language: English
      Pages: 159
      Cost: $35.00

      Period: A variety of periods - from the founding origins of noh on. As I write this I am looking at a page with a gem about the dance 'Okina' which actually comes from a shinto ritual close to the founding root of noh. It is performed by a Kyogen performer - not a standard noh dancer.

      Subjects: Noh, masks in full color

      My Thoughts: What a gorgeous art book! The full color pages show the masks in great detail. Each mask gets special attention with gems of info about the history of the mask including info dating back to the Shinto rituals that the noh performances stem from. This is a great book for anyone who enjoys noh, or japanese theater as a whole with lots of period info.

      Photos from the book:
      http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/1519/img3451800x533.jpg
      http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/8608/img3452533x800.jpg
      http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/901/img3453533x800.jpg