A lunar cycle of poems project - night 17

  • art_fetish
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 1, 2011
      ~~~Night 17 ( http://stardate.org/nightsky/moon ) ~~~

      "At the break of day,
      Just as though the morning moon
      Lightened the dim scene,
      Yoshino's fair hamlet lay
      In a haze of falling snow." - Korenori (early 900s http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sakanoue_no_Korenori )

      "Asaborake
      Ariake no tsuki to
      Miru made no
      Yoshino no sato ni
      Fureru shirayuki." - Japanese version

      This poem refers to an area south of Kyoto that is mountainous. Yoshino as an area is beautiful and was cited in art, poetry, and even visited by the elite trough the ages. I choose to share this poem because for some of us, winter has arrived and snow is upon the eastern coast of the US.

      Source: Hokusai - One Hundred Poets

      PS - Thanks for the lead on the poetry book!
      PPS - Go check out the poetry contest!
    • art_fetish
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 2, 2011
        ~~~Night 18 ( http://stardate.org/nightsky/moon ) ~~~

        A bit of a change up from the standard poems. I present a Pilgrims song that is used in a period Noh play at a Shinto shrine. The play is called Dojoji. This noh play is the grandfather for kabuki's famous 'Wisteria Maiden' tale. Kabuki has a few different versions of the Wisteria maiden tale, but they find their common roots in this tale.

        More on this Noh play: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D%C5%8Dj%C5%8Dji_(Noh_play)
        Modern kabuki performance of one of the Wisteria Maiden tales: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPgtX-ljHi4

        "Over the waves the moon has disappeared,
        And on the pine-clad beach the salt spray dashes.
        So quickly do I hasten on my way,
        To reach the temple while the sun is high.
        To reach the temple while the sun is high.
        Before they may begin the service for the bell."

        PS - The autumn tanka challenge is going on, please stop in and share your own poetry :) http://tousando.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=research&action=display&thread=3851&page=1
      • art_fetish
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 3, 2011
          ~~~Night 19 ( http://stardate.org/nightsky/moon ) ~~~
          Sen no Rikyū (1522-1591ad), who in 1579 became the tea master for Oda Nobunaga. He has a quote I rather like that can still be applied to people today: "People like expensive utensils because their minds run to covetousness and avarice. A chipped earthenware mortar, if suited to the occasion, is entirely in harmony with the Tea spirit." The following poem written by him only further reinforces the core concepts of wabi and sabi in period tea ceremony.

          "If you have one pot
          And can make your tea in it
          That will do quite well.
          How much does he lack himself
          Who must have a lot of things.

          If you have no pot
          Take a saucepan and in that
          Boil your hot water.
          Even so your tea may be
          Quite the best in Japan.

          Though I tell you this
          Do not go and hide away
          Things you now possess.
          To pretend you have them not
          Is affected elegance.

          Ho who hesitates
          Saying that he has no flowers
          Let him go and see
          The spring herbage that 'mid snow
          Shows upon the mountain side." - Rikyu

          More: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sen_no_Riky%C5%AB

          Source: Cha-No-Yu The Japanese Tea Ceremony, By A.L. Sadler
        • mkolkie
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 4, 2011
            I thank you for posting these... please keep going
          • Jeanel Walker
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 4, 2011
              I too enjoy them. please dont quit =)

              Jeanel Walker aka Iolii or Takaatsu
              My Facebook Link =)My Deviant Art Page Link

              ________________________________
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 5, 2011
                ~~~Night 20 ( http://stardate.org/nightsky/moon ) ~~~

                "Beneath the blossoms,
                The view is so lovely
                We forget to return home.
                Alongside a cask of wine,
                Drinking more and more
                A spring breeze rises up." - Yamabe no Akahito, one of the 36 Immortal Poets. His work was cited and recounted through the ages. A famous Momoyama period scroll featuring this poem was written by the famous calligrapher Shokado Shojo (1584-1639).

                Source: Japan's golden Age, Momoyama (http://www.amazon.com/Japans-Golden-Age-Momoyama-Publications/dp/0300068972 )

                PS - glad to know that you guys are enjoying these. Feedback is always welcome. If you have any specific requests or themes, please let me know. Only 8 more poems to go before I am done.
              • art_fetish
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 6, 2011
                  ~~~Night 21 ( http://stardate.org/nightsky/moon ) ~~~

                  "Setting out for my lover's house
                  Carried by thoughts of love
                  This winter's night
                  I feel the cold river breeze
                  As plovers cry." -Unknown, featured on a Momoyama period calligraphy scroll by Shokado Shojo

                  "Omoikane
                  Imogari yukeba
                  Fuyu no yo no
                  Kawakaze samumi
                  Chidori nake nari" - Japanese version of the poem

                  Plovers are associated with winter, and the loneliness that love can bring.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 8, 2011
                    I wish i had started saving them when you first started i would have almost a book by now to take with me on long journeys through out the known world, but I didnt think of it sooner. pout.

                    Jeanel Walker aka Iolii or Takaatsu
                    My Facebook Link =)My Deviant Art Page Link

                    ________________________________
                    A spring breeze rises up." - Yamabe no Akahito, one of the 36 Immortal Poets. His work was cited and recounted through the ages. A famous Momoyama period scroll featuring this poem was written by the famous calligrapher Shokado Shojo (1584-1639).

                    Source: Japan's golden Age, Momoyama (http://www.amazon.com/Japans-Golden-Age-Momoyama-Publications/dp/0300068972 )

                    PS - glad to know that you guys are enjoying these. Feedback is always welcome. If you have any specific requests or themes, please let me know. Only 8 more poems to go before I am done.

                  • Jennifer Kobayashi
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 8, 2011
                      >I wish i had started saving them when you first started...

                      Fortunately for us all, they are automatically saved in the sca-jml list archives:

                      -Ki no Izumi
                    • Jeanel Walker
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 8, 2011
                        awesome!!! sugoi!!!!! domo artigato !!!! now onward to archives =)

                        Jeanel Walker aka Iolii or Takaatsu
                        My Facebook Link =)My Deviant Art Page Link

                        >I wish i had started saving them when you first started...

                        Fortunately for us all, they are automatically saved in the sca-jml list archives:

                        -Ki no Izumi

                      • LJonthebay
                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 8, 2011
                          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Jeanel Walker <brytephyre@...> wrote:

                          > I wish i had started saving them when you first started i would have almost a book by now to take with me on long journeys through out the known world, but I didnt think of it sooner. pout.

                          Support your local bookseller!

                          Saionji no Hana, sometime poet, avid reader