Poetry stuff

  • LJonthebay
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 29, 2011
      Firstly, I stumbled over a copy of this nice little collection of Japanese love poems at one of the local used book-stores this morning: [i]Only Companion: Japanese Poems of Love and Longing[/i], translated by Sam Hamill.

      Poems are presented in English and Romaji, so the reader can get a sense of what the original Japanese sounds like. An appendix with brief biographical notes identifies the poets.

      The good news is that it's still in print and very reasonably priced. [url]http://www.shambhala.com/html/catalog/items/isbn/978-0-87773-647-9.cfm%5b/url]

      Here's a sample by Izumi Shikibu:

      My black hair tangled
      As my own tangled thoughts,
      I lie here alone,
      Dreaming of one who has gone,
      Who stroked my hair till it shone.

      [i]Kurogami no
      midarete shirazu
      uchifuseba
      mazu karkiyarishi
      hiso zo koishiki[/i]. (p. 49)

      Well worth searching out if you're a poetry fan.

      Secondly, the semi-annual Tanka Challenge begins over on the Tousando forum starting November 1. http://tousando.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=research&action=display&thread=3851

      I started doing these in 2008, partly as a reaction against the excesses of NANOWRIMO, but mostly as a way of practicing (and hopefully improving) my poetry writing.

      Enjoy!

      Saionji no Hana