A lunar cycle of poems project - night 14

  • art_fetish
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 25, 2011
      ~~~Night 14 ( http://stardate.org/nightsky/moon ) ~~~

      Winter loneliness
      In a mountain hamlet grows
      Only deeper, when
      Guests are gone, and leaves and grass
      Withered are; - so runs my thoughts. - Muneyuki (passed in 939), grandson of Emperor Koko.

      "Yamazato wa
      Fuyu zo sabishisa
      Masari keru
      Hito-me mo kusa mo
      Katenu to omoeba" - Japanese version

      Winter is just around the corner, and for some has already arrived. The hare is the animal most commonly associated with the winter - the rabbit is not period for our uses because it arrived sometimes in around 1870ad, brought by Europeans. Hares are believed to produce an elixar for immortality, and can be seen on the moon pounding out mochi. Albino hares are considered to be exceptionally lucky.

      Source: Hokusai - One Hundred Poets
    • art_fetish
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 26, 2011
        ~~~Night 15 ( http://stardate.org/nightsky/moon ) ~~~

        Today I will be sharing a poem from the same Noh play: Tadanori. In this play a man dies with a poem in his quiver. His poem becomes well known after his death. He returns as a ghost and begs for recognition.

        "Were I, still traveling as night falls,
        to make a sheltering tree my inn,
        then would my host tonight be
        the blossoms themselves?" - One of 2 translations of the same poem

        There is a second translation of this poem that reads as:

        "Now the daylight dies,
        and the shadow oh a tree
        Serves me for an inn.
        For the host to welcome me
        There is but a wayside flower." - One of 2 translations of the same poem

        Author Info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeami (1363 – 1443)

        Source: "Japanese Plays - Classic Noh, Kyogen, and Kabuki Works" by A.L Sadler
      • art_fetish
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 27, 2011
          ~~~Night 16 ( http://stardate.org/nightsky/moon ) ~~~
          "Wherever I look
          cherry blossom, crimson leaves,
          nowhere to be seen;
          a rush-thatched hut by the cove
          in the twilight of autumn." -By Murata Shukō (村田珠光; 1423 - 1502)

          Source: Zen in the Art of Tea Ceremony - A Guide to the Tea Way by Horst Hammitzsch

          More on Shuko: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murata_Shuk%C5%8D
        • art_fetish
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 1, 2011
            ~~~Night 17 ( http://stardate.org/nightsky/moon ) ~~~

            "At the break of day,
            Just as though the morning moon
            Lightened the dim scene,
            Yoshino's fair hamlet lay
            In a haze of falling snow." - Korenori (early 900s http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sakanoue_no_Korenori )

            "Asaborake
            Ariake no tsuki to
            Miru made no
            Yoshino no sato ni
            Fureru shirayuki." - Japanese version

            This poem refers to an area south of Kyoto that is mountainous. Yoshino as an area is beautiful and was cited in art, poetry, and even visited by the elite trough the ages. I choose to share this poem because for some of us, winter has arrived and snow is upon the eastern coast of the US.

            Source: Hokusai - One Hundred Poets

            PS - Thanks for the lead on the poetry book!
            PPS - Go check out the poetry contest!
          • art_fetish
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 2, 2011
              ~~~Night 18 ( http://stardate.org/nightsky/moon ) ~~~

              A bit of a change up from the standard poems. I present a Pilgrims song that is used in a period Noh play at a Shinto shrine. The play is called Dojoji. This noh play is the grandfather for kabuki's famous 'Wisteria Maiden' tale. Kabuki has a few different versions of the Wisteria maiden tale, but they find their common roots in this tale.

              More on this Noh play: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D%C5%8Dj%C5%8Dji_(Noh_play)
              Modern kabuki performance of one of the Wisteria Maiden tales: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPgtX-ljHi4

              "Over the waves the moon has disappeared,
              And on the pine-clad beach the salt spray dashes.
              So quickly do I hasten on my way,
              To reach the temple while the sun is high.
              To reach the temple while the sun is high.
              Before they may begin the service for the bell."

              PS - The autumn tanka challenge is going on, please stop in and share your own poetry :) http://tousando.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=research&action=display&thread=3851&page=1
            • art_fetish
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 3, 2011
                ~~~Night 19 ( http://stardate.org/nightsky/moon ) ~~~
                Sen no Rikyū (1522-1591ad), who in 1579 became the tea master for Oda Nobunaga. He has a quote I rather like that can still be applied to people today: "People like expensive utensils because their minds run to covetousness and avarice. A chipped earthenware mortar, if suited to the occasion, is entirely in harmony with the Tea spirit." The following poem written by him only further reinforces the core concepts of wabi and sabi in period tea ceremony.

                "If you have one pot
                And can make your tea in it
                That will do quite well.
                How much does he lack himself
                Who must have a lot of things.

                If you have no pot
                Take a saucepan and in that
                Boil your hot water.
                Even so your tea may be
                Quite the best in Japan.

                Though I tell you this
                Do not go and hide away
                Things you now possess.
                To pretend you have them not
                Is affected elegance.

                Ho who hesitates
                Saying that he has no flowers
                Let him go and see
                The spring herbage that 'mid snow
                Shows upon the mountain side." - Rikyu

                More: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sen_no_Riky%C5%AB

                Source: Cha-No-Yu The Japanese Tea Ceremony, By A.L. Sadler
              • mkolkie
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 4, 2011
                  I thank you for posting these... please keep going
                • Jeanel Walker
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 4, 2011
                    I too enjoy them. please dont quit =)

                    Jeanel Walker aka Iolii or Takaatsu
                    My Facebook Link =)My Deviant Art Page Link

                    ________________________________
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 5, 2011
                      ~~~Night 20 ( http://stardate.org/nightsky/moon ) ~~~

                      "Beneath the blossoms,
                      The view is so lovely
                      We forget to return home.
                      Alongside a cask of wine,
                      Drinking more and more
                      A spring breeze rises up." - Yamabe no Akahito, one of the 36 Immortal Poets. His work was cited and recounted through the ages. A famous Momoyama period scroll featuring this poem was written by the famous calligrapher Shokado Shojo (1584-1639).

                      Source: Japan's golden Age, Momoyama (http://www.amazon.com/Japans-Golden-Age-Momoyama-Publications/dp/0300068972 )

                      PS - glad to know that you guys are enjoying these. Feedback is always welcome. If you have any specific requests or themes, please let me know. Only 8 more poems to go before I am done.
                    • art_fetish
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 6, 2011
                        ~~~Night 21 ( http://stardate.org/nightsky/moon ) ~~~

                        "Setting out for my lover's house
                        Carried by thoughts of love
                        This winter's night
                        I feel the cold river breeze
                        As plovers cry." -Unknown, featured on a Momoyama period calligraphy scroll by Shokado Shojo

                        "Omoikane
                        Imogari yukeba
                        Fuyu no yo no
                        Kawakaze samumi
                        Chidori nake nari" - Japanese version of the poem

                        Plovers are associated with winter, and the loneliness that love can bring.

                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 8, 2011
                          I wish i had started saving them when you first started i would have almost a book by now to take with me on long journeys through out the known world, but I didnt think of it sooner. pout.

                          Jeanel Walker aka Iolii or Takaatsu
                          My Facebook Link =)My Deviant Art Page Link

                          ________________________________
                          A spring breeze rises up." - Yamabe no Akahito, one of the 36 Immortal Poets. His work was cited and recounted through the ages. A famous Momoyama period scroll featuring this poem was written by the famous calligrapher Shokado Shojo (1584-1639).

                          Source: Japan's golden Age, Momoyama (http://www.amazon.com/Japans-Golden-Age-Momoyama-Publications/dp/0300068972 )

                          PS - glad to know that you guys are enjoying these. Feedback is always welcome. If you have any specific requests or themes, please let me know. Only 8 more poems to go before I am done.

                        • Jennifer Kobayashi
                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 8, 2011
                            >I wish i had started saving them when you first started...

                            Fortunately for us all, they are automatically saved in the sca-jml list archives:

                            -Ki no Izumi
                          • Jeanel Walker
                            Message 13 of 14 , Nov 8, 2011
                              awesome!!! sugoi!!!!! domo artigato !!!! now onward to archives =)

                              Jeanel Walker aka Iolii or Takaatsu
                              My Facebook Link =)My Deviant Art Page Link

                              >I wish i had started saving them when you first started...

                              Fortunately for us all, they are automatically saved in the sca-jml list archives:

                              -Ki no Izumi

                            • LJonthebay
                              Message 14 of 14 , Nov 8, 2011
                                --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Jeanel Walker <brytephyre@...> wrote:

                                > I wish i had started saving them when you first started i would have almost a book by now to take with me on long journeys through out the known world, but I didnt think of it sooner. pout.

                                Support your local bookseller!

                                Saionji no Hana, sometime poet, avid reader