What Makes a Good Japanese Event

    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 14, 2011

      Greetings from Solveig! I am once again trying to put together an event proposal, and I am looking for ideas for what activities to include for a late April event.

    • Jeanel Walker
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 15, 2011
        i could picture a class that everyone is sitting down with brush and ink stone working on brush strokes like the monks do in the temple...this would get those who have never picked up a brush before the courage to try and perhaps even enjoy it...you can also start out the class with sticks and a box of sand to help give them confidence , and who knows you might be able to get some new calligraphers and illuminationst out of the deal

        is the event going to be held during e day or night? you can get some sky lanterns and light them letting them float into the sky. its a beautiful sight . and we only had three can you imagine 10 or 20 of them?
        of course you have to make sure that the wind is not above a certain speed and that theres no fire band going on. if your sight is over a lake it would be awesome to let them go off the boat and have some floating in the water =) a celebration of life. just putting out some idea

        Jeanel Walker aka Iolii or Takaatsu
        My Facebook Link =)My Deviant Art Page Link

        ________________________________
        Greetings from Solveig! I am once again trying to put together an event proposal, and I am looking for ideas for what activities to include for a late April event.

      • ravensong3
        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 16, 2011
          I think that 'gozen' is the appropriate titular reference for a baroness ? My name is Taira no Masako - where would I place gozen in that, or how should it look/be handled or whatever ?

          Saka
        • LJonthebay
          Message 4 of 19 , Oct 16, 2011
            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "ravensong3" <ravens3@...> wrote:

            > I think that 'gozen' is the appropriate titular reference for a baroness ? My name is Taira no Masako - where would I place gozen in that, or how should it look/be handled or whatever ?

            You would not, persons addressing or referring to you would describe you as Masako-gozen, according to the chart at
            http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/miscellany/address.html

            If you're a landed baroness, you'd be Baronyname-no-kami, evidently.

            Hope this helps,

            Saionji no Hana
            Sho shichi i (until Twelfth Night)
            Message 5 of 19 , Oct 16, 2011

              >> I think that 'gozen' is the appropriate titular reference for a baroness ? My name is Taira no Masako - where would I place gozen in that, or how should it look/be handled or whatever ?

              Why do you think that 'gozen' is a titular reference for a baroness? -gozen is a sort of polite suffix attached to the name of the wives of noblemen. The other two meanings given by Kodansha Kogo Jiten are even more tangential. The primary meaning is the space in front of a noble.

              > If you're a landed baroness, you'd be Baronyname-no-kami, evidently.

              kami 守 is the title used by provincial governors and is appropriate if you are interested in recreating the imperial system. That is if you are interested in being a member of the kuge (courtier class).

              If on the other hand you are interested in being a member of the buke (military class) then you are probably interested in the title shugo which were the military provincial governors. (This is the title that daimyo generally collected.)

              Finally, there is the title in the alternative title list which was invented in the 19th century as part of the title reform following the Meiji Restoration.

              Message 6 of 19 , Oct 16, 2011

                Greetings from Solveig! Are you part of a baronial couple? And are you intentionally deferring to your partner? I suppose that may be what you are thinking about with respect to -gozen. It really is simply a polite suffix to a name. Oh well, congratulations if you are indeed a territorial baroness.

              • Susan E Spiller
                Message 7 of 19 , Oct 17, 2011
                  Okay, thank you - and no, not Landed, Court.......

                  Saka