~~~Night 4, Hunter's Moon ( http://stardate.org/nightsky/moon ) ~~~

  • art_fetish
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 5, 2011
      ~~~Night 4, Hunter's Moon ( http://stardate.org/nightsky/moon ) ~~~

      Todays poem comes from the first page of a book known as 'Essays of Idleness', by Prince Kenko. 'Essays of Idleness' is otherwise known as 'Tsurezuregusa' and was written between 1330 and 1332. This particular poem takes a jab at its own creator and creation. I chose this poem because it appeals to poets and artists directly.

      You can find and read 'Essays of Idelness' online at: http://books.google.com/books?id=9jIX_in-gYAC&pg=PA5&lpg=PA5&dq='Essays+of+Idleness',+by+Prince+Kenko&source=bl&ots=NetS_SiYEl&sig=oPt33j5i5tHRYdktLRcQjjwVnnw&hl=en&ei=iWeMTpDxC9DksQL8maDYBA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CB4Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

      The opening poem of this book has 2 primary translations.

      "What a strange, demented feeling it gives me
      when I realize I have spent whole days before
      this inkstone, with nothing better to do,
      jotting down at random whatever nonsensical
      thoughts have entered my head..."

      The other translation:

      "To while away the idle hours, seated the livelong day before the inkslab, by jotting down without order or purpose whatever trifling thoughts pass through my mind, truly this is a queer and crazy thing to do!"

      Artists in other mediums can easily transform this into a reflection of their own arts.

      My Source: 'Japane's Golden Age - Momoyama', a book published by Yale University Press. By: Money L. Hickman, John T. Carpenter, Bruce A. Coats, Christine Guth, Andrew J. Pekarik, Jon M. Rosenfield, Nicole C. Rousmaniere