A lunar cycle of poems project - night 3

  • art_fetish
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 4, 2011
      ~~~Night 3, Hunter's Moon ( http://stardate.org/nightsky/moon ) ~~~

      Reminder: This is a simple period poetry project. I wanted to share a number of the beautiful period Japanese poems I have in my many books. These poems are shared to inspire and encourage reflection. Poetry was vital to Japanese culture, and still is. To understand Japanese culture one needs to grasp the role of poems. The subjects are varied, all are period.

      "Having met my love,
      Afterwards my passion was,
      When I measured it
      With the feeling of the past,
      As, if then, I had not loved." - By Atsutada (904 - 944ad). He was a Chunagon, an imperial counselor of the middle rank. What does this poem mean to you? This poem expresses the feelings between old lovers, who compare life before such love as colorless and bland. No doubt such a poem would make for a very tender gift between lovers.

      "Aimite no
      Nochi no kokoro ni
      Kurabureba
      Mukashi wa mono wo
      Omowazari keri." - Japanese translation

      This poem is featured in many books, however my source is 'Hokusai - One Hundred Poets'.

      -Lady Kimiko