Book Review: Cha-No-Yo , The Japanese Tea Ceremony

  • art_fetish
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 21, 2011
      Title: Cha-No-Yo , The Japanese Tea Ceremony
      Year Published: 2001, originally published 1962
      ISBN: 0-8048-3407-5
      Language: all English
      Pages: 245
      Periods: Nara to modern, heavy focus on Momoyama and early Edo
      Subjects: Tea and its history in Japan, and other tea cultures outside of Japan that influenced Japanese tea. There is information on the old founding tea schools, masters, and even stories of the great 3 Momoyama generals and their own personal stories in regards to tea. You will find a small handful of black and white drawings in this book that illustrate room layouts of different styles, proper stone walkways the lead to a tea room, stone garden lanterns, and even proper flower arrangements suitable only for tea ceremony.

      My thoughts: This single book has the most hardcore factual history about Japanese Tea Ceremony. It is easily the single most important tea book I have ever come across and own. I own this book, and use it as a major source for all my own personal tea related research. The personal stories about the great masters, and even warlords really seal the deal on how valuable this book is. In Japanese history there is a lot of man-drama to be found regarding tea.

      Photos: None will be provided as this book is mostly text. If you need help and want me to look up something for you and send a picture of a possible drawing in this book let me know. What I will provide everyone with are 2 historical tea poems from this book.

      ***Poem found in the book***
      Whether you are enlightened or not,
      If you regard the mind of all things as the same,
      Things are quiet well as they are.

      ***Poem found in the book***
      Hardly can I bear
      Thus to give away to you