Re: [SCA-Archery] an important resource

  • setsuko_iwashiro
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 19, 2011
      It would be WONDERFUL if that were republished in a more affordable form. Again, for the starving-artist types. :( I want a copy...

      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, richard johnson <rikjohnson39@...> wrote:

      > one book I'd like to get is
      >
      > Name Construction in Medieval Japan by Solveig Throndardottir
      > which is out-of-print.($321 @ amazon)
      >
      > Listening to the multiple name questions on the Japanese-SCA site, Might I
      > suggest a private printing by the author? Sales to go to the author?
      > Or, I am told that Amazon has an e-book publication system that is very
      > beneficial to the author and customer???
      >
      > Which is probably why my presona is a Verangian who got lost<g>.... too much
      > trouble finding a japanese name that works with my limited resources!
      >
      > <cross-posted to the SCA e-list)
      >
      > On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 11:37 AM, Patrick Rice
      > <dark_angel_326725@...>wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > > i would very much appreacate if i could get a copy of the known world
      > > handbook 2011 if it is ready but 2010 will work for now untill its printed
      > > thanks
      > >

      > --
      > Rick Johnson
      > http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com
      > "Those who give up a little freedom in return for a little imagined security
      > will soon find that they have neither."

    • JL Badgley
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 19, 2011
        '
        On Sep 19, 2011 4:06 PM, "richard johnson" <rikjohnson39@...> wrote:

        > one book I'd like to get is
        >
        > Name Construction in Medieval Japan by Solveig Throndardottir
        > which is out-of-print.($321 @ amazon)

        Have you tried Potboiler Press? I believe she put out a new version a few
        years back.

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 19, 2011

          On Sep 19, 2011, at 4:06 PM, richard johnson wrote:

          > one book I'd like to get is
          >
          > Name Construction in Medieval Japan by Solveig Throndardottir
          > which is out-of-print.($321 @ amazon)

          It is actually in print and for a much more modest sum than what somebody has listed it for on Amazon.
          Go to http://potboilerpress.com/ Alban is currently discounting the "cover price" to $38.66.

          What does this mean? It means that books listed as out-of-print by Amazon are not necessarily out-of-print.

        • richard johnson
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 19, 2011
            Nostrand, Name Construction in Medieval
            Japan<http://potboilerpress.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=10&products_id=25>
            Written by "Solveig Throndardottir" (aka Dr. Barbara Nostrand), a large
            compilation of historical Japanese names - forenames, surnames,
            nicknames,...
            $42.95
            Sale: $38.66
            Save: 10% off

            Add:

            *********
            From the site your recommended.
            Much better than the Amazon price but still out-of-my-range.
            I've already spent my 'high-price book fund for this year getting an atlas
            of 17th century maps (they don't make an atlas of 15th century maps).