Which kumihimo for armor?

  • Lionhardht
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 17, 2011
      I have the grand idea of making my own armor. Since it is laced together with kumihimo braiding, I am hoping to make it myself. Does anyone know which braids were used or was it the armorers' choice? Any help will be appreciated.

      In the regular world, they call me
      . . .Rob Morris
      ..
    • Waffle
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 18, 2011
        While I am never one to dissuade anyone from from making their own anything, armor, clothes, sake, etc., depending on the type of armor you intend on making, that could be an awful lot of braid. I am making a domaru with kebiki odoshi. I know several people that make kumihimo braid for their garb, and other projects. It is a fasinating technique, and once you get the hang of it, it doesn't seem too tedious to do. One of those sit in front of the TV, or hanging out with friends and talking sort of activities. Give it a try, learn all you can about it. Who knows, you may have just found another sub-hobby. I have about seven or eight I do consistantly. BUT, if and/or when it might become a little too much for your armor project, you might think about giving these guys a try. Rice Braid: www.ricebraid.com

        Waffle
        Not tryin to nay say, just sayin.

        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Lionhardht <thepride@...> wrote:

        > I have the grand idea of making my own armor. Since it is laced together with kumihimo braiding, I am hoping to make it myself. Does anyone know which braids were used or was it the armorers' choice? Any help will be appreciated.
        >
        > In the regular world, they call me
        > . . .Rob Morris
        > ..

      • Raymond Zentz
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 18, 2011
          I must concur. Having made armor for two of my wee ones, using about 900 feet of braid in toto, the thought of handmaking the cord is a bit daunting. I do not have minions at my beck and call to make all of the essentials, so must needs purchase from those who do. However, I encourage you to spend the time learning the process, and when you have decided that you have made enough, whether or not it is sufficient for your project, then indeed make the call.

          Good luck,

          Padruig

          While I am never one to dissuade anyone from from making their own anything, armor, clothes, sake, etc., depending on the type of armor you intend on making, that could be an awful lot of braid. I am making a domaru with kebiki odoshi. I know several people that make kumihimo braid for their garb, and other projects. It is a fasinating technique, and once you get the hang of it, it doesn't seem too tedious to do. One of those sit in front of the TV, or hanging out with friends and talking sort of activities. Give it a try, learn all you can about it. Who knows, you may have just found another sub-hobby. I have about seven or eight I do consistantly. BUT, if and/or when it might become a little too much for your armor project, you might think about giving these guys a try. Rice Braid: www.ricebraid.com

          Waffle
          Not tryin to nay say, just sayin.

          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Lionhardht <thepride@...> wrote:

          > I have the grand idea of making my own armor. Since it is laced together with kumihimo braiding, I am hoping to make it myself. Does anyone know which braids were used or was it the armorers' choice? Any help will be appreciated.
          >
          > In the regular world, they call me
          > . . .Rob Morris
          > ..

        • mandaloril
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 19, 2011
            Kumohimo seems to be the starting off point for those wanting to attempt their own lacing. Sadly it is sort of a misconception that lacing for armor was produced using this method. The braid was produced using loop-manipulation braiding which you can learn here: http://www.lmbric.net/ . Masako Kinoshita has done her research and if you take the time to read you will learn the technique. It produces braids that actually look like historical examples. I have also been looking into using a Taka-dai to reproduce these braids as it would appear that the patterns in the loop-method can be reproduced on one of these setups. I myself made a modified maru-dai because once you start a loop braid you can't really walk away from it until it's done. But if you Quarter a Maru-dai disk, and divide the loops you can braid in reverse like the loop manipulation method and like kumohimo. I think it is fun and will eventually braid a suit with traditional methods. But, as others have already said, be prepared for upwards of 300 yards of braid needed. A yard can take me around 30 hours to complete.

            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Raymond Zentz <rayzentz@...> wrote:

            > I must concur. Having made armor for two of my wee ones, using about 900 feet of braid in toto, the thought of handmaking the cord is a bit daunting. I do not have minions at my beck and call to make all of the essentials, so must needs purchase from those who do. However, I encourage you to spend the time learning the process, and when you have decided that you have made enough, whether or not it is sufficient for your project, then indeed make the call.
            >
            > Good luck,
            >
            > Padruig

          • Jenn Prado
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 19, 2011
              I read this email several times, and it looks like the answer is in there, but I can't find it. My question is: what was the material used for lacing armor?

              Sent from my iPhone

              On Sep 19, 2011, at 9:05, "mandaloril" <mandaloril@...> wrote:

              > Kumohimo seems to be the starting off point for those wanting to attempt their own lacing. Sadly it is sort of a misconception that lacing for armor was produced using this method. The braid was produced using loop-manipulation braiding which you can learn here: http://www.lmbric.net/ . Masako Kinoshita has done her research and if you take the time to read you will learn the technique. It produces braids that actually look like historical examples. I have also been looking into using a Taka-dai to reproduce these braids as it would appear that the patterns in the loop-method can be reproduced on one of these setups. I myself made a modified maru-dai because once you start a loop braid you can't really walk away from it until it's done. But if you Quarter a Maru-dai disk, and divide the loops you can braid in reverse like the loop manipulation method and like kumohimo. I think it is fun and will eventually braid a suit with traditional methods. But, as others have already said, be prepared for upwards of 300 yards of braid needed. A yard can take me around 30 hours to complete.
              >
              > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Raymond Zentz <rayzentz@...> wrote:
              > >

              > > I must concur. Having made armor for two of my wee ones, using about 900 feet of braid in toto, the thought of handmaking the cord is a bit daunting. I do not have minions at my beck and call to make all of the essentials, so must needs purchase from those who do. However, I encourage you to spend the time learning the process, and when you have decided that you have made enough, whether or not it is sufficient for your project, then indeed make the call.
              > >
              > > Good luck,
              > >
              > > Padruig

            • LJonthebay
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 19, 2011
                --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Jenn Prado <kaegwyn@...> wrote:

                > I read this email several times, and it looks like the answer is in there, but I can't find it. My question is: what was the material used for lacing armor?

                Silk. Or leather in some cases. http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/katchu/katchu.ch05.html

                Saionji no Hana