Digital text recommendations?

  • Leanne Opaskar
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 15, 2011
      Ohayou gozaimasu!

      I'm going on a vacation this weekend and I'm (gasp!) out of books to read. The stuff I've ordered from the library hasn't come in yet. Soooo ....

      I was wondering if you folks had any recommendations of great digital texts to further my studies. I'm doing Kamakura period, but I'm totally willing to look outside that. My interests are wide and varied, so I will take all kinds of suggestions. I'd been thinking of hunting up something like the Pillow Book or the Tale of Genji, but scholarly works on pretty much any topic would be interesting too. What are your favorites?

      Doumo arigatou!

      --Sō Haruko
    • richard johnson
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 15, 2011
        what is your e-reader?
        Kindle requires Kindle and won't do doc or pdf or epub without a special app
        you have to buy.
        Nook takes everything except kindle.

        I have a number of books on PDF and EPUB including:
        ...Book of 5 Rings by Musashi
        ...The Samural (1902) by George Major
        ...Book fothe Samurai by Hagakuri
        ... and maybe Genji. and Zen and the Zamurai
        plus a bunch of Martial Arts books. Maybe some Japanese fiction.
        I'll have to check my Nook at home. Hard to tell as i have some 3,000
        ebooks that i will never live long enough to read.

        --
        Rick Johnson
        http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com

      • Leanne Opaskar
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 15, 2011
          I have an iPad, so I have access to everything, pretty much. (:

          I have 5 Rings at home in dead-tree formay, but that reminds me that I should reread it. The others look interesting -- I should check them out. Thanks!

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 15, 2011
            I can send you whatever i have and you can upload it to your reader.

            --
            Rick Johnson
            http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com
            "Those who give up a little freedom in return for a little imagined security
            will soon find that they have neither."

          • Jeanel Walker
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 15, 2011
              can you send me whatever you have too, I would so love to have something to read I have a nook and a program that pretty much converts what ever is out there.

              Jeanel Walker aka Iolii or Takaatsu
              My Facebook Link =)My Deviant Art Page Link

              ________________________________

              --
              Rick Johnson
              http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com
              "Those who give up a little freedom in return for a little imagined security
              will soon find that they have neither."

            • LJonthebay
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 16, 2011
                Reposting the following regarding UC Berkeley's Japanese Historical Text Initiative:

                I obtained a password just by asking. No fees, no requirement that users be affiliated with an academic institution.

                http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/jhti/ is operated by UC Berkeley. From their
                website: "The Japanese Historical Text Initiative (JHTI) is a rapidly expanding database made up of historical texts dating back more than 1200 years. The original version of every paragraph in every text is cross-tagged with its English translation, making it possible for any researcher to see, on the same screen, both the original and English translation of any word or phrase appearing in any JHTI text."

                Saionji no Hana, writing from a pilgrimage route....
              • rickj
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 16, 2011
                  Can you send me your email so I can do this.
                  gail bumped your messageas soon as the next one in the topic came through and the e-group won't give your address.