Review Batch 3 - Cleveland Museum of Art Library

  • art_fetish
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 15, 2011
      This list of book reviews stems not from my personal collection, but rather the
      impressive book collection housed at the Cleveland Museum of Art Library. The
      Cleveland Art Museum's Library is free and open to the public, and is the 3rd
      largest in the nation. The library houses many rare, out of print, and expensive
      art books. The Japanese selection is massive, with many books that have never
      been published in America or in English.

      I did not have time to personally reach each and every book, so much as glance
      through for info relevant to our interests. I am doing this in hopes of helping
      people gain new insight about the arts and learn about books for research.

      Later I will be revisiting these books to get photos to share. Enjoy.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Title: Spectacular Helmets of Japan, 16th - 19th Century
      Author: Japan House Gallery
      Year Published: 1986
      ISBN: 0-87011-784-X
      Language: English
      Pages: 193

      Period: Muramachi & Momoyama & Edo

      Subjects: Lavish Japanese helmets with info about each helm, and insight into their motif and construction

      My Thoughts: This is an amazing book, and the perfect crowning book for a library collection about Japanese armor. The photos of each helm are large, detailed, and in full color making for a striking presentation. My only complaint is that there are not multiple shots of the elm from different sides and the inside of the helm. The 'period' helms are very unique and certainly creative if not fierce looking. No two helmets are like among the Japanese, and tis book really drives home how unique a helm should be for a Japanese persona.

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~

      Title: The Rise of Bizen Ceramics in the Momoyama Period
      Author: Maria Roman Navarro
      Year Published: 2008
      ISBN: 978-3-496-01381-5
      Language: English
      Pages: 212

      Period: Momoyama

      Subjects: History, construction, and more about Bizen Ceramics in the Momoyama Period of Japan

      My Thoughts: This book is very much a scholars approach to ceramics in Momoyama Japan. The back of the book include a full color catalog that has many styles. If someone enjoys Momoyama Ceramics this book is a must. This particular subject is not of interest to me, all the same I wanted to look at this book so I could recommend it to people who might be interested - as it is a very unique and focused book.

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      Title: Momoyama Jidai no Senshoku #19
      Author: Unknown, due to being written in Japanese
      Year Published: Early Autumn 1982
      ISBN: None found that I can see
      Language: Purely Japanese
      Pages: 180

      Period: Momoyama textiles

      Subjects: Lots of Momoyama garb, the likes that I have never seen elsewhere! There is also a guide on how to do what looks like Momoyama shibori in this book - WHOW!!!!

      My Thoughts: OMG! This book is packed full of stunning full color high detail photos of attire from the Momoyama period! My primary interest is the Momoyama period, and even I am seeing all new testiles and examples of attire that I had never seen before! I am so inspired! I have to buy this book! I will be revisiting this book and taking many photos for documentation, as I doubt many people in the SCA have ever seen many of these period examples!

      There are stunning examples of patchwork kosode that more look like a stainglass window then a kosode!

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      Title: Heian, Kamakura, Muromachi no Senshoku , #23
      Year Published: 1983
      ISBN: None found, most likely due to being in Japanese
      Language: Japanese, I saw nothing in english at all
      Pages: 168

      Period: Heian to Muromachi, as the title suggests

      Subjects: There are some interesting clothing items in photos that I have never seen before all through this book. Most interesting are a few pages showing what I think to be monks making and blessing silk - which means it is most likely the construction and creation of sympathy silk.

      My Thoughts: This book frustrated me, its a great resource but is written in Japanese. I see a lot of interesting full color and detailed photos of period garb, but I really dont know what they are! There is a stunning selection of heian attire that simply must be documented. Wen I return to this library I am getting photos of the garb in this book, I wager some of this stuff has never before been seen within the SCA.

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      Title: (English translation) Medieval Japanese Textiles, (Japanese?) Senshoku : chusei hen
      Author: Unknown?
      Year Published: May 1988
      ISBN: Unknown due to most likely being written in Japanese
      Language: Japanese
      Pages: 94

      Periods: Heian to Momoyama? Unknown due to lack of english in the book.

      Subjects: Historical Japanese attire

      My Thoughts: Tis book would be such a great resource, if only it were in english or translated. There is no english in this book at all, making it for a frustrating experience. At a glance I see many period textile examples including court wear and a heian ladies attire, I also see a stunning example of a Momoyama patchwork kimono that is very high fashion. There are a few color photos, and a few black and white ones. If someone could translate this book, it would be a great resource.

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      Title: The Goda Collection - Japanese Sword Fitting
      Author: Robert Hamilton Rucker
      Year Published: 1924
      ISBN: None (Only 500 copies of this book were printed)
      Language: English
      Pages: 93

      Periods: Mostly 17th Century to Pre-WW2, however the info is still good for insight

      Subjects: Swordmakers, Swordfittings, Insight into terms and designs for sword fittings

      My Thoughts: Masauji Goda lived from 1844 - 1917. In the first pages of the book is a photo of Goda, formally dressed in his kimono, haori, and hakama with his swords by him as his sits kneeling on the ground with a folded fan before him. Though he is aged he looks noble and to have been a wide and great man. In fact the intro in the book for this man lists him as a scholarly gentleman.

      This book is packed full of great antique sword fittings with history, details, and insight to each of the sittings and their designs. There also is a catalog o the families and individual swordsmiths through Japanese history such as: Umetada, Miochin, and more. There are many black and white photos of the collection, with descriptions and the source of the fittings. What I find very valuable is in te back of the book there is a nice glossary of terms in reference to their construction, and art styles - something I have not seen in any other book. Tis precious antique book is a must for a serious Japanese Sword Collector.

      In the back of this book, it states that only 500 copies of this book were printed. Good luck finding one.
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 15, 2011

        > Title: Momoyama Jidai no Senshoku #19
        > Author: Unknown, due to being written in Japanese
        > Year Published: Early Autumn 1982
        > ISBN: None found that I can see
        > Language: Purely Japanese
        > Pages: 180

        The ISBN number appears to be: 4863661223
        It appears to have been reprinted, but is out of print.

      • art_fetish
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 16, 2011
          If you were local and in the flesh I might kiss you for this. Thank you so much for sharing the isbn on this precious resource, I MUST have it. The shibori guide is really nice, as are the unique period examples.

          If all goes well I am driving back out to the library today (2 hours each way) to try and get photos from the book. This book had a really unique period piece: a European cloak with Japanese textiles.

          I will share the photos when I have them. I hope you guys are excited as I am. I also will be returning with the heian examples from the book I mentioned in the list as the Momoyama one.

          I wonder if there are digital copies of this book, or any of these books.

          -Lady Kimiko