Re: [SCA-JML] Re: need help

    Message 1 of 33 , Aug 20, 2011

      On Aug 19, 2011, at 9:35 PM, Octavian Dum wrote:

      > Jumping in here towards the end but, he might use "Sakamura no" if he was
      > referring to the place which he is from?

      I doubt that this is likely in a Japanese name. If a Japanese person refers to where they come from, it is often in the form of <dokoka>shushin or <dokoka>ni umarita neither of which slot into a name. There are some interesting examples of place names being coincident with family names which can provide a source of comic confusion such as in the kyōgen play Awataguchi where Awataguchi turns out to be both the name of a sword derived from the name of a sword making family and the name for a district in Kyōto. At least that is how I recall the setup working. Note that a designator is not included. Nowhere is Awataguchi referred to as Awataguchi-chō. Another consideration is that one possible origin of Japanese family names is the myōden (named field).

      Regardless, Sakamoto has several entries as a family name in Daijirin (1st ed) while Sakamura has no entry at all.

    • LJonthebay
      Message 33 of 33 , Jul 12, 2012
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Ishiyama Gen'tarou Yori'ie <ishiyama@...> wrote:
        > What about the hitoe? The Mitsuo Kure "red book" shows a Kamakura
        > era daimon hitatare with two under-layers of hitoe that only come
        > down to mid-thigh. I know the text of this book is riddled with
        > errors, so I'm never quite sure what to think.

        IIRC, that garment might be hiked up to that length and held in place with himo, but I'd have to go look at the picture again.

        Seconding Andy's comment - the photos are useful, the translation and complete lack of bibliography are profoundly unhappy making.

        Saionji Shonagon