Re: [SCA-JML] Re: need help

  • Anthony Bryant
    Message 1 of 33 , Aug 19, 2011
      On Aug 19, 2011, at 9:35 PM, Octavian Dum wrote:

      > Jumping in here towards the end but, he might use "Sakamura no" if he was
      > referring to the place which he is from?

      Technically, yes, but only a commoner might do so. Samurai had surnames, and they used them. Mind you, most surnames are actually toponyms, with many of the more famous samurai families taking their surnames from the towns in which they settled.
    • LJonthebay
      Message 33 of 33 , Jul 12, 2012
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Ishiyama Gen'tarou Yori'ie <ishiyama@...> wrote:
        > What about the hitoe? The Mitsuo Kure "red book" shows a Kamakura
        > era daimon hitatare with two under-layers of hitoe that only come
        > down to mid-thigh. I know the text of this book is riddled with
        > errors, so I'm never quite sure what to think.

        IIRC, that garment might be hiked up to that length and held in place with himo, but I'd have to go look at the picture again.

        Seconding Andy's comment - the photos are useful, the translation and complete lack of bibliography are profoundly unhappy making.

        Saionji Shonagon