Re: need help

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 33 , Aug 17, 2011
      Well, to star with, this is what I have in mind:

      A low ranking samurai during the Nanboku-chô period. The name I have chosen is Hirataro no Sakamura. For clothing, I will be starting with a kosode and hakama.

      Right or wrong so far?

      > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Jim" <kiltedviking74@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Wanting to start into a Japanese persona. I have looked at most of the links here. Now, where do I start??
      >
      > Pick a period you're interested in, decide on your social status (e.g., low ranking samurai from Such-and-such province, monk, aristocrat with poetic pretensions....). Start thinking about a name.
      >
      > What would you wear?
      >
      > What would you fight in/with (assuming you're a fighter)?
      >
      > What sort of possessions would you have with you at an event?
      >
      > Do it in stages.
      >
      > Saionji no Hana, still on the pilgrimage after all these years
      > West Kingdom

    • LJonthebay
      Message 33 of 33 , Jul 12, 2012
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Ishiyama Gen'tarou Yori'ie <ishiyama@...> wrote:
        > What about the hitoe? The Mitsuo Kure "red book" shows a Kamakura
        > era daimon hitatare with two under-layers of hitoe that only come
        > down to mid-thigh. I know the text of this book is riddled with
        > errors, so I'm never quite sure what to think.

        IIRC, that garment might be hiked up to that length and held in place with himo, but I'd have to go look at the picture again.

        Seconding Andy's comment - the photos are useful, the translation and complete lack of bibliography are profoundly unhappy making.

        Saionji Shonagon